Mears and Grylls (again)

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
.....who's Eddie McGee?????? How old do we need to be to know of him???? LOL. :lmao:

Well, I'm a fair bit younger than you and I know of him! This guy was staying with native tribes when Ray Mears was still wetting the bed. Died about 10 years ago I think, but I could be wrong. Used to have his own survival school up North I think. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddie-McGee...4054/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344295649&sr=8-2 Inherited the book off Pops. First published in 1988. Doesn't seem like they make em like that anymore though - this guy pursued and found a cop killer in a manhunt during the 80s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Prudom#30_June.C2.A0.E2.80.93_Eddie_McGee_joins_manhunt In short, an underrated legend beside Lofty Wiseman. On another forum you'll read that he didn't really receive the praise he deserved for it though and didn't get a serious tv slot. It also mentions that he was disappointed to see what were essentially the same things he was teaching being taught again years on(i.e. now). His son is bringing out a second edition of one of his books, based on notes he left before he died. Should be a good read once it comes out later on this year...if it comes out this year...I'm still waiting on RYP's Worlds Most Dangerous Places 6th Edition...don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited:

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
Well, I'm a fair bit younger than you and I know of him! This guy was staying with native tribes when Ray Mears was still wetting the bed. Died about 10 years ago I think, but I could be wrong. Used to have his own survival school up North I think. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eddie-McGee...4054/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344295649&sr=8-2 Inherited the book off Pops. First published in 1988. Doesn't seem like they make em like that anymore though - this guy pursued and found a cop killer in a manhunt during the 80s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Prudom#30_June.C2.A0.E2.80.93_Eddie_McGee_joins_manhunt In short, an underrated legend beside Lofty Wiseman. On another forum you'll read that he didn't really receive the praise he deserved for it though and didn't get a serious tv slot. It also mentions that he was disappointed to see what were essentially the same things he was teaching being taught again years on(i.e. now). His son is bringing out a second edition of one of his books, based on notes he left before he died. Should be a good read once it comes out later on this year...if it comes out this year...I'm still waiting on RYP's Worlds Most Dangerous Places 6th Edition...don't think that's going to happen.

Vulpes... No offence was meant by my flippant comment. I've just demonstrated to everyone my lack of tact and knowledge of a true master of the hobby I wish to follow and in which I want to develop. I will be more careful in future in the way I attempt to join in a thread when I don't have the knowledge of those being discussed. As to Lofty (I grew up with his books at my side), Mears and Grylls. I do respect them for their differing takes on the subject and the way they are opening up bushcraft in general to a new younger and wider audience. :eek:

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Vulpes... No offence was meant by my flippant comment. I've just demonstrated to everyone my lack of tact and knowledge of a true master of the hobby I wish to follow and in which I want to develop. I will be more careful in future in the way I attempt to join in a thread when I don't have the knowledge of those being discussed. As to Lofty (I grew up with his books at my side), Mears and Grylls. I do respect them for their differing takes on the subject and the way they are opening up bushcraft in general to a new younger and wider audience. :eek:

No offence taken...I just wrote that in a fashion suggestive of offence, but I'm messing around really. Have to be careful often on forums in case the wrong message is given. Some folk are dead defensive and grumpy. We're all treading a path of learning in some way, no worries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE