Mears and Grylls (again)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Awe come on... read the OP... 'snowt to do with one versus the other, it was more subtle than that... The guys are not similar and should be viewd are entirely different 'products'...

Surely?

It doesnt really matter how the OP was intended, it didnt take long before people started insulting one/either/both of them. Quite frankly everytime a thread is started comparing them i am always disapointed at the way they go downhill.

Louis

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I like the simplicity of Ray Mears no flannel just whatever the topic is and if in a programme some background is put in to add interest. We do not know whether Ray has done an Alpha course etc but it doesn't matter. What strikes me about Bear is that what he has done extraneous to bushcraft matters is the whole of the man. Would be rude to call him a doughnut but the periphery is all that we seem to see.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I like the simplicity of Ray Mears no flannel just whatever the topic is and if in a programme some background is put in to add interest. We do not know whether Ray has done an Alpha course etc but it doesn't matter. What strikes me about Bear is that what he has done extraneous to bushcraft matters is the whole of the man. Would be rude to call him a doughnut but the periphery is all that we seem to see.

Ah - So his life experience - which to be fair is pretty varied and extensive by most people's standards - is a negative point in your opinion and deserving of the "doughnut" appelation? Interesting point of view!

It's a bit like saying that if you take Ray's extensive travels and sojourns amongst the native tribes of the world out of your view of him, he's pretty shallow. Clearly neither is correct, but it always amuses me that one apparently can't appreciate one without rubbishing the other..............

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Ah - So his life experience - which to be fair is pretty varied and extensive by most people's standards - is a negative point in your opinion and deserving of the "doughnut" appelation? Interesting point of view!

It's a bit like saying that if you take Ray's extensive travels and sojourns amongst the native tribes of the world out of your view of him, he's pretty shallow. Clearly neither is correct, but it always amuses me that one apparently can't appreciate one without rubbishing the other..............

Grylls = fabulous entertainer and showman

Mears = informative television personality/businessman

Each are in different categories and both have had different accomplishments and come from different backgrounds. Grylls would suck at bushcraft, Mears wouldn't be able to get up Everest. Everyone has strengths, weaknesses and differences, these are facts of life. LET IT DIE ALREADY!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Grylls = fabulous entertainer and showman

Mears = informative television personality/businessman

Each are in different categories and both have had different accomplishments and come from different backgrounds. Grylls would suck at bushcraft, Mears wouldn't be able to get up Everest. Everyone has strengths, weaknesses and differences, these are facts of life. LET IT DIE ALREADY!

Absolutely bang on!!!!!!!
Tbh I think they are both excellent, and I have learnt off of both!!! I do hate Bear bashing though when in my opinion all he is doing is bringing similar skills to the table that ray does but appeals to an entirely different audience, so as long as the skills are getting out there and people are enjoying what they are watching who gives a monkeys who is better than who!!! It's quite pathetic!!! Great o p though!!!

Last edited:

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
well i like them both good or bad its tv worth watching used to like bush tucker man to al better than some ****e i see on tv
both make enough out of it its there job at the end of day and good luck to them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE