Mears and Grylls (again)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Firstly I am not trying to open up an old wound here. We know that both these guys produce TV programmes for differing audiences.

However....

I have just watched, and rewatched, their DVDs back to back (and again :() with my son this weekend. If you strip away Bear's sky diving antics and Ray's cookery prep, there are just so many similar subjects covered albeit in different styles. I don't just mean shelter and firelighting, things like eating ant larvae, drinking fresh blood and gobbling up a liver before the rest of the beast. OK, I appreciate these might be important but it just struck me that they should both include this (anjd other similarities) in their DVDs when there is a whole wealth of information that could be shared.

From my point of view: One of them does come across as entirely more convincing, from a knowledge standpoint, whereas the other is a talentless git who seems to have just been told a fact before representing it as his own for the benefit of the camera...
:D

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
I think it was lofty who said that past allegiances aside, if stuck on a desert island he'd prefer to be with mr. Mears. Something to do with him having a bit more meat on him...

;-)

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
horses for courses.... but this is very old ground that often ends up in a spat over who is better, one that usually ends up in the thread being closed.

Oooops

Sorewee, I didn't realise that. I am not suggesting one is better than another (although one of them is clearly a pillock). I just thought it interesting that the programme material was a little more than tangential.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Personally I prefer Mr. Chief Scout.... more "fun" or "humour" about him - much more likely to laugh
at himself than Mr. Serious - more so I think after he was allowed to acknowledge the camera crew.
Check out his episodes with Jake Gyllenhalle and the one with two "fans".... goodjob

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I like them both ! But mainly because they are on telly, I am sure there have been better Bushcrafters out there ! Past & present ! But regarding Ray & Bear the way I think about it is that if I wanted to go out to the woods to learn more about Bushcraft skills, I would choose Ray. If on the other hand if I survived a plane crash and ended up in a hostile environment with minimal gear, then I think I would prefer Bear sitting next to me.
Thats just my opinion!
P.S. I own most of the R.M dvd's but have no B.G. Mainly because I think I learn more from them. Bushcraft and interesting stories about other peoples survival situations.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
This has been done to death for years. I think in short, there's more to bushcraft and survival than television personalities. Everyone likes entertainment, but it's better to follow your hobbies in your own way, not emulate those on television.

Now Dave Canterbury...there's a massive fake. In my opinion, worse than old Eddy Grylls...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Apparently Ray is going to pass SAS qualification, break his back, climb and hot-air over Everest, then do something useful for the Scouts to prove he's the bette man.

Bear is going to get fat to prove he is:)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
6df0d903.jpg

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor

Awe come on... read the OP... 'snowt to do with one versus the other, it was more subtle than that... The guys are not similar and should be viewd are entirely different 'products'...

Surely?

Is it me or does that piccie of meg look more 'arousing' than she ever did on the telly?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE