Meadowsweet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I have discovered I have lots of meadowsweet around me. A ray mears country tracks episode talks about a tea made from the flower heads to treat fever, and chewing the root to allieviate a headache. www.pfaf.org says this:

Meadowsweet has a very long history of herbal use, it was one of the three most sacred herbs of the Druids[238]. The leaves and flowering stems are alterative, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, aromatic, astringent, diaphoretic, diuretic, stomachic and tonic[4, 9, 21, 165]. The plant is harvested in July when it is in flower and can be dried for later use[4]. The flower head contains salicylic acid, from which the drug aspirin can be synthesised[200, 238]. Unlike the extracted aspirin, which can cause gastric ulceration at high doses, the combination of constituents in meadowsweet act to protect the inner lining of the stomach and intestines whilst still providing the anti-inflammatory benefits of aspirin[254]. The herb is a valuable medicine in the treatment of diarrhoea, indeed it is considered almost specific in the treatment of children's diarrhoea[4]. It is also considered to be a useful stomachic, being used to treat hyperacidity, heartburn, gastritis and peptic ulcers, for which it is one of the most effective plant remedies[4, 238]. It is also frequently used in the treatment of afflictions of the blood[4]. Meadowsweet is also effective against the organisms causing diphtheria, dysentery and pneumonia[238]. This remedy should not be given to people who are hypersensitive to aspirin[238]. A strong decoction of the boiled root is said to be effective, when used externally, in the treatment of sores and ulcers[244]. A homeopathic remedy is made from the fresh root[9].

....which is a bit daunting. Just wondering how, practically, you guys use meadowsweet? More generally, I have never used any wild plant for medicinal purposes. I have heard of poultices and so on but have never had the correct illness at the correct time to try any of it out!

On the food side, the guy who did the plant walk at the last summer moot (marcus?) mentioned meadowsweet for food. Again, www.pfaf.org talks about it used as a flavouring in soups etc. Anybody tried this?

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT has just brought me in a bag full of flourish that I'll process for use through the rest of the year. It's my painkiller/ healer of sore bits, of choice.
I tincture both flourish and roots. I've just finished stripping the flowers and buds from a dozen heads and have them soaking in almond oil. I'll use this oil to make meadowsweet ointment that is a topical analgesic and very soothing on sore joints. I'll also tincture roots and use this as both tincture and again as an ointment; this one is more 'healing' for bruises and grazes. It's also excellent for sore chapped or cracked skin on hands. Funny enough the tincture is also really good for toothache.
I also use leaves, stalks and roots for dye.
A tea made from the flowers is a really good additive for headache, flu or colds mixtures.
It'a also very settling of heartburn, indigestion, diarrhoea and the like too.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ok besides

HWMBLT has just brought me in a bag full of flourish that I'll process for use through the rest of the year. It's my painkiller/ healer of sore bits, of choice.
I tincture both flourish and roots. I've just finished stripping the flowers and buds from a dozen heads and have them soaking in almond oil. I'll use this oil to make meadowsweet ointment that is a topical analgesic and very soothing on sore joints. I'll also tincture roots and use this as both tincture and again as an ointment; this one is more 'healing' for bruises and grazes. It's also excellent for sore chapped or cracked skin on hands. Funny enough the tincture is also really good for toothache.
I also use leaves, stalks and roots for dye.
A tea made from the flowers is a really good additive for headache, flu or colds mixtures.
It'a also very settling of heartburn, indigestion, diarrhoea and the like too.

cheers,
Toddy

What did the Meadowsweet ever do for us hey :rolleyes: Sounds great thanks for the research pointer :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
apparently meadowsweet can be used to flavour mead... or at least it has been in the past.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE