Me and Mountains...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dont get on.

I went to look at Shiehallion. and decided it was too high and rough.

am I

a) lazy?

b) unfit?

c) dont get on with mountains?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I was always a water person never a mountain person.
I went climbing in Derbyshire with friends. There was more worry about gear theft that weekend than slips and falls.
Says a lot about the sport eh!
S:confused:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Dont get on.

am I

a) lazy?

b) unfit?

d) Sensible?

When messing around with tall potentially suddenly windy cold things, being realistic is pretty important, I'd suggest. If you're not used to that sort of thing and aren't prepared for it, you did the right thing.

Perhaps make it a goal? Work up to it with other excursions before giving it another try, to build your confidence and also fitness to complete it?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Dont get on.

am I

a) lazy?

b) unfit?

I'd be with you on that one! Prefer the coast and a nice walk along a beach, but I'm getting old, and rickety!
:)

Reactions: swyn

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shiehallion is a lovely hill, a bit scrambly/rocky in places, but you don't need to climb the whole thing. There's archaeology, there's history, there are beautiful views.

Break it down and find a bit of it you'd like to see, something of note, of interest, and maybe just wander up it that far.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Some of the other hills in the Southern Highlands are quite straight forward if Schiehallion seems a bit much. Ben Chonzie has a bulldozed track most of the way up or you could try East & West Lomond for an easy day out.

Reactions: Toddy

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Dont get on.

am I

a) lazy?

b) unfit?

Your time, you do what you want with it!

I don't enjoy the up to the summit and down again approach as much as I do a nice ridgeline walk or a forest walk, no matter what level of fitness I'm at.

Nothing forcing you to go all the way up either though. I've often gone for some nice high lake or outcrop with a nice view and left it at that.

Reactions: Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its all very novel to me. Im sure I will tackle it one day.

there are a lot of new things here; big loch, red squirrels. single track road, lack of shops....its a really nice (if remote) area

Plenty of trees; not barren like some of Scotland.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have an abiding ambition to scale Gallt y Wennallt from the lake side since I have never seen anyone up on there which is odd considering how close it is to Snowdon. It is doable I am sure, and I could have done when I was younger, but as every year ticks by it seems less likely that I ever will. It is not that I don't think I could get to the top, but that the further up I go the more of a problem coming down as it is very steep.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have an abiding ambition to scale Gallt y Wennallt from the lake side since I have never seen anyone up on there which is odd considering how close it is to Snowdon. It is doable I am sure, and I could have done when I was younger, but as every year ticks by it seems less likely that I ever will. It is not that I don't think I could get to the top, but that the further up I go the more of a problem coming down as it is very steep.

From Llyn Gwynant or Llyn LLydaw? There isn't an easy route, but maybe that's why it's attractive (and quiet). There is a path that takes you to within a km of the top but from there it's it's over rock and heather :)

I used to love watching the ants crawl over Snowdon from the relative quiet of the Glyders :)

I've never been interested in 'bagging' mountain tops, but I do like getting up high - but yep, getting down is more a problem these days :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
From Llyn Gwynant or Llyn LLydaw? There isn't an easy route, but maybe that's why it's attractive (and quiet). There is a path that takes you to within a km of the top but from there it's it's over rock and heather :)

I used to love watching the ants crawl over Snowdon from the relative quiet of the Glyders :)

I've never been interested in 'bagging' mountain tops, but I do like getting up high - but yep, getting down is more a problem these days :)
There is a diversion from the start of the Watkin path that leads up there, and I have looked at it from the Llyn Llydaw direction. From Llyn Gwynant it is very steep and a long way up, I think actually if I went up that way I could well go down an easier route. I intend to go back in September anyway. I can remember when I was much younger running (yes running) up the side of the Cairnwell in Scotland ahead of the chairlift, but I did not have an arthritic knee then.

Reactions: knowledge=gain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE