Maybugs

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There were loads by me, but I'm surrounded by rivers. They didn't last as long as usual though and disapeared almost overnight.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
One on my back yard the other day. He was on his back wriggling about so not sure if he flew into a window.
We used to get loads in a beer garden near me and the screems from the folks was very funny. Mind, they still make me jump a bit.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
There was millions, as usual on the farm. Mind you it's an organic smallholding with pond and a burn either side.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
My cottage is right in the heart of farmland too and has a fair amount of water in the area, but I've seen hardly any and I'm always outside at night up 'till the small hours.
I'm just wonder whether the cold winter has kept the grubs underground or slowed their development a bit.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Are these the guys that look like a squashed chestnut? If so i saw one at outlon park last weekend at the touring cars.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Cute little things:

3491942421_5223e622f3.jpg

melolontha_melolontha_hax_xxxx.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hmmm it didnt look like that, same kind of shape but the colour and pattern litterally looked like a sweet chestnut..

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Hmmm it didnt look like that, same kind of shape but the colour and pattern litterally looked like a sweet chestnut..

It probably was, there isn't many other things that kind of size.
I reckon the second picture threw you a bit because it looks a mottled white/brown. They do appear almost chestnutlike when you seem them.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Wait a minute, I thought y'all were talking about Mayflies. The well known indicator species.

mayfly.jpg

I take back what I said because I've seen none of the squashed chestnuts. Plenty of these though.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Wait a minute, I thought y'all were talking about Mayflies. The well known indicator species.

I take back what I said because I've seen none of the squashed chestnuts. Plenty of these though.

Ah, I can see why we've had conflicting reports now - MayBUGS, not mayflies. :lmao: Seen loads of mayflies about.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
perhaps it would have been clearer if you called them cockchafers i have seen 3 on the wirral 2 dead and one dying in progress as it hit my windowscreen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE