Maybe an obvious question but - fire starting....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
So earlier this year (i.e. middle of winter) myself and a mate wondered off into the higher hills of snowdonia for a weekend of wild camping. I really endeavoured to reduce my bergan weight to as light as possible so for fire I went with a couple of zippo lighters & mate the same. Well, weather turned harsh as can be expected there i.e. quite a bit below zero plus strong winds and snow on the ground. After pitching tarps etc we turned to cooking some much needed scoff. All 4 zippo's failed :-( (a point to note, I did carry them close to body etc but still no joy).

The question: in high winds/very cold & wet weather what is best to carry? we're not talking for longevity here i.e. gas runs out of a lighter after x days etc BUT a reliable source for lighting a stove in all weathers?

I don't believe there is a 'go-to' lighter out there, so suspect back to windproof matches or similar I wonder?

Welcome your input :)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Cut a bit bike inner tube across the way to make a thick band. Fits over joint of zippo making waterproofish and less fuel evaporates. Makes emergency firefighter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I carry a ferrocerium rod and a Clipper or Bic lighter as my main fire-lighting tools. The ferro rod will work in any conditions and the lighter is there for convenience.

What went wrong with the Zippos?

I've got quite a few jetflame lighters around in a box somewhere - varying from cheap to expensive. They all have in common that they worked perfectly in good conditions, then failed totally in bad conditions. Similarly the flat sided adjustable flame butane lighters recommended by Cody Lundin are now cheaply made and fail. The BIC seems to be the best of the bunch now.
For total dependability a big ferro rod, pure cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly AND a magnesium bar. We once made some home made cardboard egg carton firestarters:
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/adrien13.html
At only -15C plus wind and snow, to get one started fast, the magnesium was required. In still conditions even at -45C, just the ferro rod works perfectly.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
We put avtur fuel in our zippo's went like a jet engine on re-heat.

Avtur is basically paraffin with an icing inhibitor - so my guess would be that it either evaporated (if you kept them in a pocket next to a warm leg) or became too viscose to vaporize efficiently (if they got too cold). Though if you said it flared up, probably the former.

Monikieman's idea about sealing the joint with a ranger band is sound - so long as the fuel you are using will not rot the rubber.

It is also a lesson in carrying a variety of fire lighting methods, not relying on one (type of) ignition source.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Thanks guys - so a ferro rod/steel is from what I'm gathering the most preferred solution - I'm just trying to relive the situation when both of us were in an emergency bothy during our trip (by the way I have to say the Terra Nova Bothy2 is the mutts nutts!) and trying to use such devices as what was effectively used 2k years ago. Think I just need to put some practice in - we can put rockets into space but can't make a reliable lighter hmmm.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
For me it's Bic lighter first mostly then Ferro rod. I do have a peanut petrol lighter on my keys that I have sealed with elecy tape that lasts months but unsure EXACTLY how long?

It's worth giving the old flint/steel charcloth a try. Just find an old empty butane lighter and rip off the metal flame cover - free. Now char some cotton cloth from old rag and put a spark onto the charred part - ember and fire! You might want to get a better setup and lots of practise before relying on it in tough conditions..

I still have matches coated in nail varnish from about 14 years ago and they still work. Matches coated in wax don't have such longevity.. Remember that strike anywhere matches are required!

A BIC lighter is still pretty reliable.

For the ultimate in reliability, though, the ferro rod is the ultimate because of the huge sparks. That's why so many of us love them.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I've been hankering after trying out fettled matches for a while now. I have a load of pine resin just waiting for experimentation along with lots of other flammable stuff including a tub of Saltpetre!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Here's what I carry in no particular order.

Windproof matches in waterproof container.
Bic lighter with a silicone hair tie under the gas trigger to keep it closed until needed.
A LMF firesteel with assorted tinder
And lastly one of the excellent Wolf Creek Forge strikers a few flints and some charcloth in a leather belt pouch.

As forestdweller said a flint and steel is reliable way to start a fire IF, a big if, you're proificient and have practised in any and all weather conditions. As my wife pointed out one day as I was messing about in the kitchen over the sink lighting char she opened the backdoor and said try it out there..... monsoon class rains and 35-40 mph winds. I declined her offer. :)

i'd suggest adding a REAL firesteel (=flint and steel) and charcloth- it has worked well for 2000years all over the world. charcloth needs to be kept dry of course, but once it has caught a spark even the strongest winds is not going to blow it out!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
All of the above. I also carry a peanut lighter on my keyring, as a final backup. With the o-ring the fluid will bnot evaporate. Ferro rod is my usual ignition source though.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Adding to the chorus: I keep a ferro rod in with my pocket rocket as it is totally reliable for lighting the gas. I find that when I'm on expeds with kids, they are less inclined to lose/break it than a lighter. It's my first choice along with Vaseline-soaked cotton wool for bushcraft too.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If your lightweight option was 2 zippos, what were you carrying before?

I imagine for the weight of two zippos you could have taken 3 or 4 mini bics, a forro rod, and a decent tinder pouch

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Once a week, set a time and go outdoors and practice. Same place every time, the weather is irrelevant. Practice.
Cope with the varying conditions. I didn't know what to do, what questions to ask, without the experience.
Outside my back door is a wind-tunnel in the rain & snow = perfect location.

A Bic in every bag in an obvious location. Windproof and waterproof matches = use more matches as kindling.
The ferro rod and magnesium block are on the same lanyard as a dedicated (small) knife.
I have an aluminum can, a bit taller than a soup can. Screw-top lid. Home made rubber gasket.
Tested for a week under water, held down with a brick. Works OK, kit rides in the can.
Narrow slices of the plasticized milk carton, that must be waterproof!
But, practice trumps planning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE