Maxpedition Sitka Bag Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I think I'm developing an addiction to Maxpedition stuff:rolleyes: I thought I'd do a review of my latest acquisition and took some piccies in the back garden for your perusal.

I've called this a 'Bag' in the title but I suppose it could go by the names of Daysack, Gearslinger, Utility Bag, Bug-out-bag, you get the idea...

The first thing I noticed was the colour. I went for the foliage green on this one and I have to say I really like it. It's a very natural grey-green and it doesn't look military at all. It certainly wouldn't look out of place round town.

sitka001.jpg

I knew the webbing along the side would fit a small hatchet as I had seen this done on youtube but I was counting on it fitting my GB Small Forest Axe. Result! It fit's perfectly.

sitka002.jpg

Now here's what makes the Sitka a bit different from other packs. The main load bearing strap is just that, a single well padded strap that goes over one shoulder. I must admit that I did have misgivings as to how comfortable this was going to be but I can tell you that after carrying it around on a walk we went on last week for about three hours that I suffered no ill effects. There is a thinner support strap that comes around the other side of the wearer's chest which holds the bag in place and does help to even out the load. After a bit of fiddling with the adjustable buckles I found the bag to be actually very comfortable to wear. I think the trick is to wear the strap quite high up on the chest and keep everything nice and snug. There are also plenty of places on the strap to keep things close to hand. I've got a firesteel and pocket compass here but I have seen a knife stored here before (don't do that round town!).

sitka003.jpg

If the strap arrangement makes the Sitka different then here is what I believe makes the Sitka brilliant. Once you unclip the buckle to the thin support strap (which incidentally has a cute whistle on it) then the whole pack can be spun around the wearer's body to the front. This means that the pack does not have to be taken off to access it's contents. It alos means that the wearer can sit with their back against something quickly without having to remove the pack. The pouches' and the main compartment's zips are configured in such a way for this very purpose.

sitka005.jpg

There is a pouch on the side for bottles, flasks etc. This is a 1 litre 32oz maxp nalgene in the pic so you know it's big enough! there is plenty of room for a mug in there too if your bottle will fit inside one. This pic also shows that a lapplander folding saw will fit snugly in the webbing on the lower outside pouch secured by a lanyard to the 'Y' compression strap buckle.

sitka012.jpg

The outside top pouch is very good for keeping your small items organised on the move or indeed in camp where I often misplace all the little bits of kit I'm using. This would fit quite a bit more than what I carrying here.

sitka008.jpg

The lower pouch is also capable of holding more than what I'm showing here. It has a divider sleeve on each side and a security clip for keys etc.

sitka009.jpg

Now to the main compartment. This is much bigger than at first seems possible somehow. I'm probably pushing it's capacity in this pic but I have got some large items here and I reckon a few small items could still be stuffed in. The zips closed easily anyway. There is another divider in this compartment and also some zipped mesh pockets which would come in very handy.

sitka011.jpg

There s one more compartment which is situated on the very back or closest to the wearer's back. It is the full size of the pack and is designed for a hydration bag. There is a hole at the top to facilitate the drinking tube.

To say I'm impressed with this pack is a huge understatement. I thought I loved my Jumbo Versipack but that has now been relegated to Dad-Bag status and is now sheepishly carrying nappies and baby-wipes. I might let it carry a penknife and a torch as well if it's good. The Sitka has now triumpahntly been confirmed as Dad's 'Bushcraft Bag'.

If you want to know where to get one, I got mine from here and yes I know they're pricey but they and I are worth it.
http://www.heinnie.com/qcly2Y317252...on/Bags/Maxpedition-Sitka/p-281-289-359-3813/

Cheers
Sean

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Darn you!!!! I really, really NEED one of these now.

Excellent review and great pics Sean.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Nice review Prawnster

Good news is they make a much larger version should you need it called the Kodiak http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=938

What make is that fine looking compact rod? I once had lovely little collapsible fly rod until a 28lb pike broke it when taking a large nymph on the River Cray some 25 years ago!

Cheers

Ahhhh the river Cray. Brings back fond memories of going to school in Crayford many years ago! :rolleyes:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Nice review Prawnster

Good news is they make a much larger version should you need it called the Kodiak http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=938

What make is that fine looking compact rod? I once had lovely little collapsible fly rod until a 28lb pike broke it when taking a large nymph on the River Cray some 25 years ago!

Cheers

It's a Shimano Exage travel rod, the 240mh model. Superb rod, lovely feel to it.

I'm not sure I would go for the Kodiak pack myself. It is quite big and I don't see how something that size could be carried on one shoulder without some discomfort. Saying that though I did think this sitka would be uncomfortable after a while fully loaded and it wasn't in the slightest so who knows?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I am also a Maxp addict! I was lucky enough to get a 'Malaga' in coyote through the sales forum on this site. It's very similar but I think slightly bigger than the 'Sitka'. I think I prefer the colour of your pack, though. I really do rate the Maxp stuff as it is so well made. It's up there with Blackhawk, Plat-a-tac and Tactical Tailor.

I used some Maxp pouches, etc, in a previous life for military purposes and they really are tough. When you catch things on metal corners in military vehicles, etc, they are likely as not to rip off or tear - I've never had this with Maxp stuff; rather they either hold you where you are (not always desirable!) or the plastic molle-attachment straps will snap (better!). The pouches themselves remain intact.

You just get the feeling that the kit has been really well designed and made. We use the word 'bombproof' a lot but I think it is really applicable to Maxp gear.

But, you get what you pay for and hence they are a little more expensive than similar kit.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
sitka001.jpg

I knew the webbing along the side would fit a small hatchet as I had seen this done on youtube but I was counting on it fitting my GB Small Forest Axe. Result! It fit's perfectly.

sitka002.jpg

My one concern would be that with the GB Axe in that position, were you to slip or fall, and land on your back, the impact may cause the poll to strike into the area of your shoulder blade/back.

Forged steel -v- shoulder blade/back...... I don't think that the poll would lose!

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Nice review Prawnster

I've got a Maxpedition Versipack that I use every day.

My wife knows I have a pack thing going on (I seem to collect packs like other people collect knives)

I think a little bit of retail therapy is needed here, If my wife can do retail therapy, so can I ;)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
My one concern would be that with the GB Axe in that position, were you to slip or fall, and land on your back, the impact may cause the poll to strike into the area of your shoulder blade/back.

Forged steel -v- shoulder blade/back...... I don't think that the poll would lose!

I can see what you are saying but unless you are carrying a large pack where the axe can be stowed away completely then this is a risk all bushcrafters have to take. We've got to carry our axes somewhere. Some people have them hung on their belts as we do our knives, close to some pretty essential arteries! Obviously it would be foolish to carry the axe unsheathed like that but that is a given however it is carried. We can't wear bubble wrap in the wilds:)

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
Such a great bag, extremely practical looking and a good size. I need a new bag and am extremely tempted by this, just so expensive! Think i will have to sell a few unused items to justify this one!

Cheers for the review

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I quite fancy one of them, I wonder how it would go in conjunction with a Sabercat (which I want to buy, Oh yes, it will be mine....)
I notice Maxpedition now make an admin insert for the hook and loop patches which might make it even more useful.
I'll have to keep an eye out on the 'bay for one.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just seen this on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tactical-Util...ash=item3ca4e611bb&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

It looks remarkably like the one in your excellent review. What do you guys think?

Martin

Looks remarkably similar. Wonder if Maxpedition's lawyers have seen it...?

Personally, I don't believe we should be encouraging the trade in illegal copies and rip-offs as it damages the companies making and developing the originals. I have always liked Maxpedition gear and, yes, it is expensive but that's for a reason: good design, materials and quality of workmanship (and also cost of import/export, value of pound against euro/dollar, etc). It's worth saving your money and paying that little bit extra for the real thing.

Interestingly, if you look at expensive kit like TADGEAR, Maxpedition, Plat-a-tac, Arcteryx, Tactical Tailor, Patagonia, Kifaru, etc, people don't really complain about the cost; they complain that they can't afford it. This is because anyone with a bit of knowledge understands the 'worth' and the 'value' of equipment and understands how a good, innovative business keeps afloat. Go into an outdoor shop and compare the quality of Arcteryx gear with, say, one of the more basic brands. There is definitely a difference and that's why it costs more. Likewise, look at the extra effort that goes into Kifaru packs and there are plenty of people out there that do realise that product quality is king and can be a lifesaver: why else would people in the UK pay £2-300 (and more) for a Kifaru backpack, that takes 6-8 weeks to be manufactured to order in the USA, get excited on the shipping date, patiently wait for it to clear UK customs (after about 5 weeks!), and pay the import duty and Parcel Force admin fee and VAT (not small £!). In these cases, the customer really invests both financially and emotionally (believe me!) in the product. People don't do that for a cheap copy on eBay.

Sorry if this has been a bit of a rant: I strongly feel that, if you can't afford it, don't rip that company off (and that includes many of the 'makers' on this website). Compromise and find an alternative that does not 'copy' their designs. As bushcrafters, we should have the ethical and moral standards to support the good businesses that innovate and make the best gear.

This is not having a go at Sainty - he's just pointed them out on eBay and asked what we think. Frankly, I reckon you'd be disappointed in the long-term (for the reasons above).

If anyone's interested in reading a bit more about the compromises between environment, quality, customer service, product function, etc, you could do a lot worse than read 'Let My People Go Surfing' by Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Well I've just ordered it's bigger brother, the Kodiak from eBay, along with the EDC pouch and some Grimloks.
I'm going to use it for work and travelling to and from Saudi.
Should take a couple of weeks to get here.
On the subject of copies, I've got a copy backpack from eBay, you definetly get what you pay for.
The buckles are low quality and the nylon webbing is too short, the material it's made of feels very plasticy too.
It's an ok pack, but having felt MaxP quality, it just doesn't measure up.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looks remarkably similar. Wonder if Maxpedition's lawyers have seen it...?

Personally, I don't believe we should be encouraging the trade in illegal copies and rip-offs as it damages the companies making and developing the originals. I have always liked Maxpedition gear and, yes, it is expensive but that's for a reason: good design, materials and quality of workmanship (and also cost of import/export, value of pound against euro/dollar, etc). It's worth saving your money and paying that little bit extra for the real thing.

Interestingly, if you look at expensive kit like TADGEAR, Maxpedition, Plat-a-tac, Arcteryx, Tactical Tailor, Patagonia, Kifaru, etc, people don't really complain about the cost; they complain that they can't afford it. This is because anyone with a bit of knowledge understands the 'worth' and the 'value' of equipment and understands how a good, innovative business keeps afloat. Go into an outdoor shop and compare the quality of Arcteryx gear with, say, one of the more basic brands. There is definitely a difference and that's why it costs more. Likewise, look at the extra effort that goes into Kifaru packs and there are plenty of people out there that do realise that product quality is king and can be a lifesaver: why else would people in the UK pay £2-300 (and more) for a Kifaru backpack, that takes 6-8 weeks to be manufactured to order in the USA, get excited on the shipping date, patiently wait for it to clear UK customs (after about 5 weeks!), and pay the import duty and Parcel Force admin fee and VAT (not small £!). In these cases, the customer really invests both financially and emotionally (believe me!) in the product. People don't do that for a cheap copy on eBay.

Sorry if this has been a bit of a rant: I strongly feel that, if you can't afford it, don't rip that company off (and that includes many of the 'makers' on this website). Compromise and find an alternative that does not 'copy' their designs. As bushcrafters, we should have the ethical and moral standards to support the good businesses that innovate and make the best gear.

This is not having a go at Sainty - he's just pointed them out on eBay and asked what we think. Frankly, I reckon you'd be disappointed in the long-term (for the reasons above).

If anyone's interested in reading a bit more about the compromises between environment, quality, customer service, product function, etc, you could do a lot worse than read 'Let My People Go Surfing' by Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia.

While there about it Mike , they may want to take a look at a UK manufacturer of kit ( no names ) who have been mentioned on this site several times , who seem to push out a very similiar item to the Maxpedition Proteus pack as seen here;-

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=26&idcategory=0

Seems all's fair in Love , War and Commerce all over the world.:)
Not a dig , just pointing something out.

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
While there about it Mike , they may want to take a look at a UK manufacturer of kit ( no names ) who have been mentioned on this site several times , who seem to push out a very similiar item to the Maxpedition Proteus pack as seen here;-

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=26&idcategory=0

Seems all's fair in Love , War and Commerce all over the world.:)
Not a dig , just pointing something out.

That Maxpedition Proteus looks to be a blatant copy of the Snugpak Response pack :eek::eek: :rolleyes: ;) While we're at it have you noticed the passing resemblance the PLCE issue Bergan has to the Berghaus Crusader / Vulcan....

I agree it's crap that companies and govenments 'are inspired by' good designs and make cheaper copies but it's just a commercial reality

Nice review BTW...
Cheers

John

Last edited:

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
It could also be that they are mad in the same factory as the Maxpedition stuff, and these are just the same bags without the badge and the markup... Happens all the time with goods, and very often with outdoor kit...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE