Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've had numerous daysacks, as I use them almost daily when in the field to hold food water, my snake equipment and paperwork etc. I've had quite a few over the last ten years, from the 35L Karrimor Sabre, the 30L version,a swell as other Karrimor models. These have always been slightly too big for me though and were bulky with wasted space. So a couple of years later I found a smaller alternative, and until now, my favourite, the Highlander 25L....

24Oct201065.jpg

That easily held all of my equipment, with two 58 pat water bottles in each side pocket and FAK in the top pocket. The downside to this pack was the fact that all of my equipment used to get lost in the main body and finding it out was a chore. A lot of the equiment I use is small and there just isn't any quick access to small items in the main body and inevitably, the smallest always work their way to the bottom of the pack, so you have to take everything out constantly.

So after a bit of Heinnie browsing, I thought I'd check out MaxP's Pygmy Falcon. Looked just the job, and the quality is always there with MaxP's stuff.

So here it is...

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

What I really like is the flat profile. It doesn't stick out too far and catch on thick vegetation and branches. The material is a thick quality rip-stop nylon. The straps have multiple tension tapes to adjust height of carry and profile. It did come with a chest retention clip, but I don't use them on packs this small, so it went.

The mesh side pockets are good and open out with another retention cord, but unfortunately don't fit the 58 pat bottle or the US canteen (well, it will just). Bottles will fit such as Siggs and MaxP's own though. This didn't bother me too much as I was keeping the one side for my snake hook and the other for FAK. In the end, I moved the FAK into one of the internals and put a small Sig bottle in the other side.

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

The front pocket has ample room and you can store books, maps and other equipment there. Mine holds my paperwork and local OS.

DSC00131.jpg

The first compartment is deceptively large. So much so that I pulled out my FAK and transferred it to a bigger waterproof container and split off the plasters and compeed stuff into a smaller dry bag. The compartment also has a large pocket and several smaller compartments inside. Perfect for pens, smaller snake hook, phone, flashlight, snakebags, infra red thermometer, paracord, monocular and tons of other stuff. It has a nifty little hanging clip which I use for my keys. Easy access in seconds that saves faffing when I want to get back in the house quick after a knackering day.

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

Tha main compartment is just about large enough for all my stuff such as crusader kit and my canvas pouch that has my spoon, knife sharpener, coffee, matches, greenheat and other stuff. The rest of the space can take spare clothes, waterproofs, food and micro fiber towel I like to keep handy. A sipped pocket and larger open pocket hold these items easily and stop them falling to the bottom.

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

On the exterior, the bag has numerous tapes for attaching more compartments and diddly doos, as well as one main retention strap that goes over all the zippered compartments and pocket, thus making it all secure. You can also tighten this to flatten the profile even more both top and bottom. Underneath the smaller compartment is a bungee chord, which again is perfect for strapping waterproofs, or in my case, more snakebags. A much better position for it than the often used top of the rucksack, which I always found gets caught on branches and makes you look a tit when it pulls you over. In this lower position, it is protected from snagging, and also protects your items from getting dragged out without you knowing.

The base is also covered in a hard wearing rubber material, so it repels damp and dirt when sitting it down on the ground. On top, there is a strong carry handle which is great for hooking over tree stumps and fence posts when you want to get your bottle out without bending down.

Access is quick and easy, with two way zippers. You can get into any part of the pack without disturbing your kit and having to rummage around endlessly. You can access top, bottom, either side, quickly and easily without anything falling out. Just what I wanted.

In all, it is a very well made and thought out rucksack and immediately beats the others I have tried and used over the years. It sits right and is comfortable over long treks in all terrain and weather (been using it for a couple of months now). The only real gripe I have is the cool mesh back. It performs as cool mesh does, but lacks the chimney section that Karrimor and Highland have over the spine, so I find it creates more perspiration in the hot and humid days we have been having recently. This is a small gripe though, as even fully laden and heavy, it is comfortable to carry on one shoulder for long distances should your wet back prove too much in the heat.

DSC00078.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's rather tidy :approve:
HWMBLT suffers the same sticky back problem with his small daypack, and we're actively looking for something suitable since his present one is on it's last legs.

I think this one might suit me better than him.

Thanks for the great review :D

cheers,
M

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
That is a bit like my Maxpedition Malaga - one of their gearslinger series. It is quite compact (and expandable) but carries all my kit for a day out and the fact it is an over the shoulder carrier means my back doesn't get sweaty.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
very nice review there jonathanD, i had a look at the maxp falcon myself for the the same reasons,wanting a small pack with lots of clever ways of keeping everything organised, in the end i got a 5.11 rush 12, about the same size as yours,its amazing what you can get in them. il do a review once iv tested it a little more.
great job JD, thanks ash

cerbera

May 10, 2010
N. Ireland
Great review with excellent pics! goodjob

I've had a black one for about a year now and really love it. Sometimes I wish I had something bigger but then I'd only fill it with unnecessary stuff :rolleyes:

You helped me appreciate what a great bag this is. I recently got the Maxped flask holder; takes a 58 pattern water bottle or US 1/4 qt as well. Mine is attached to the front molle section of the bag.

Do you have a breakdown or contents list posted somewhere? I like the way you've got it organised :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got one of these.
Great bag.
My only complaint is that the front pouch zip is one way only, I'd have preferred two zips.
I also have the Triad Admin pouch, and it fits perfectly on the front, taking my phone, torch and a pouch of gubbins (leatherman, bits, DC4, Monocular.)
I've been using it pretty much daily at work for two years now and it still looks brand new.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I got one in black in the end, very nice bag indeed and deceptively spacious given it's lack of external bulk. Easily big enough for a day out hiking, i use mine as a work EDC bag.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Excellent , comprehensive and well illustrated review JD.
I do like the look of that pack.It seems very well thought out and build quality looks good.
Here I go talking myself into ordering one!
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE