Mate had some spare Pheasants, time to get practicing a bit of butchering.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bennymk

Sep 21, 2015
milton keynes
IMAG0926.jpg

I was thinking of doing a pie, are have a lot in the BCUK search engine tomorrow. Any ideas welcome though, ive got about 400grams of breast meat,on the right of photo thats for the dogs its why they love me so,lol..

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hiya,
Do like a nice bit of pheasant, pie is nice but if you fancy something different why not try a terrine?
Just need some bacon or belly pork, some forcemeat and if you want to be really fancy some sort of stuffing. A lot of folks go overboard with gelatin but I like to keep that minimal, maybe a slice of orange, bayleaf or cranberry jelly to top it off. Makes a real weekend treat.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Gelatin in a pie is the best bit:)

Gives me the dry boak! Its a texture thing.

Back to the OP though, you thought what you're doing yet?
If making a pheasant pie I like to add a bit of liver (from the pheasants if possible, but if you can't get them then chicken ones will do), plenty onions and fresh herbs.
You can also get away with doing a game version of a chicken-pot-pie as pheasant goes okay with the white sauce filling. Instead of a pastry topping thinly sliced tatties layered on top sets it off nicely.
No wonder the dog loves you, that's a lot of nice meat he's getting. Bet he was watching your every move as you butchered that. Mine used to sit on the kitchen threshold (he could come in to eat, but I preferred him to sit at the door when prepping) with eyes wide and mouth slavering when I was doing game prep. All bar pigeons, wouldn't eat them raw or cooked.
Be good to see pictures of what you end up doing, and the dog tucking in to his share. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

bennymk

Sep 21, 2015
milton keynes
Cheers Goatboy are have a look into a terrine sounds good and thats just the reason i put it out there, forgot all about terrines my Gran makes great ones just texted her for recipes see what she comes up with. One here also for minimum snot.. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE