Match Box

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Box1.jpg Box2.jpg Box3.jpg Was bored and had an Idea.

34234-0990943e6cb25f9a3f442f94e80aa014.jpg

Take a bit of wood with a nice straight grain,

34235-c29f61774d37cbbb69969b865b4d1e6d.jpg

Baton it down and remove the centre,

34236-8ae0f25316282a53a5649bf0240d9164.jpg

Use it to keep matches in. Will do OK for some sulphur spills and a bit of char cloth.

What I want to do is to put a nice bit of wood on a pole lathe and give it a pretty shape then baton. Looks like I will be hanging around Roy again at the Moot !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It could be so much neater but in the end it is just to keep matches ( and charcloth ) in. If Roy brings his Pole lathe to the moot again, I will be knocking out loads !!!!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
neat idea :) Though I think the correct technical term for dividing it in half is 'split' ;) (sorry 'battoning' is one of my pet hates about bushcraft lingo being box deluxe)

Roy will have his pole lathe with him and I'm sure he will be happy fo you to spend some time turning something wonderful on it

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
The wood did not split into 4 equal "rods", "poles" or dare I say batons, so I batoned the largest piece again. This meant I could enlarge the void. For the benefit of the camera I used a drop of PVA glue to hold some bits in place but leave a viewable centre. You can see the fault line on the bigger pieces. It would still fit back together very nicely without the glue. I know the Void could be a whole lot neater but so long as it will hold 6 spills and charcloth, that is a days worth of cups of tea. Plus, if it really came down to it, the case could be used as kindling.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's cool and would work on a number of different scales from large boxes to this match box, I suppose the hardest thing would be holding it all together... Umm, ideas forming.

Thanks for posting HM goodjob

ps. I adjusted the images a bit

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
When mine had 4 parts it was easy enough to fit together, held in my left palm but with 5 it got a lot more fiddly. If it could be batoned ( sorry Dave ! ) into 8 I would say the inlay would be a must. Nice Idea.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Update with new lump of wood

match1.jpg

Started as a branch at BushMoot 2018 and was turned on Roy's Pole Lathe.
Batoned down into 6 pieces. Mark each piece to show where it fits / came from.

match2.jpg

I then used a hacksaw to put a whole load of stop cuts from the centre, leaving a thick enough wall. The very top and bottom where left uncut. I then just snapped the surplus out and roughly smoothed the internal wall. PVA glue then holds 5 of the 6 bits back in their original place.

The loose 6th piece fits quite snug but is held in place with an elastic band for the moment. Need to make some kind of holder so as to allow it to hang from my belt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE