martial arts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
after been in a few real situations i will say that very few martail arts moves can get used for me these are
*snap kicks
*anckle throws
*punches
*arm strikes
*head throws
*arm locks if there is only one person attacking you (never been lucky enough for only one)
* strikes usingthe heel or your hand (i prefeer these to punches)
a funny thing wehere yu grab their nose from behind
*all blocks
*bloddy mindedness

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i did learn from a guy who was an ex commando. i know he was in the marines yet i also know he spoke 4 languages and was a fully trained medic and a few other things hmmm i wonder which regiment he was in.

when his little girl got attacked she rammedher key up the gits nose pulled it out and legged it. she would ask if iwas paying attention, if i was i could dodge a flying snap kick if not it would go way too close.

learn to fight without mats or padding its the only way

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
I very recently had a discussion with a guy who was adament that he could defend against knife, stick and bottle attacks after watching an instructory video.

The problem is that in real life people do not always act the way the videos show.

he suggested moving off line in defence against a base ball bat. I have ortunately ( or unfortunately) been in this situation once. i got relatively hurt, but the other guy was a little worse off. What did it prove...... that knowledge and training are the keys, BUT that nothing substitutes a real situation. I teach knife defence, stck defence and bottle defence in my classes. Slowly at first, then a little faster.

After several months of boring reps the drill becomes almost natural. then we can do it with dimmer lights loud music and most importantly an unknown attck.

Some people think that learning from books and videos is the easy way out.

My opinion is that a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing. It leads påeople into a false sense of security. In the real world, against a base ball vat, you will likely get hurt but survive.

F*** up against a knife..... you are likely dead.

My advice, learn from a school. When you have a high grade use videos to compliment what you already know. trust you instructor and not video.

try also to get to know how the mind of a thug works. This is the study of an art, not wearing a different coloured belt every 6 months. this shows physical competrance, and not always mental.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
That raises another question though.

Is there such a thing as a fair fight ( without judges and refs?) I fear not.

In the same way as there is little point of having a fast set of combinations when one goes into a competition.

I saw Paul Alderson, Jeff Thompson and Janice Argyll all win world Championships. They reacted and chose the techniques that were appropriate.

If one thinks about what they are going to do, the moves become readable, and a lot slower than if you see a target and take the chance. Too much "mind" makes man slow. Think no mind think nothing!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I found a site that had interesting articles, worth a look. Of particular interest were a couple interviews with James Keatings, and info on the OODA cycle.

www.realfighting.com

There are back issues too. Some of the stuff is very good. They also sell lots of fun toys that would get you in trouble here :wink:

Chris

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
just ben doing a bit of practise. i got my elbow bent back a bit too far. but im getting better. i'm now training with my mate whos a bit out of practise as well (black belt) i think i may be very colourful soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE