Marsh Samphire

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Took a bimble out today to a patch of shoreline kindly shown to me by another member earlier this year...
Nothing was pushing through a few months ago, but I was pleasantly surprised today to find most of the area covered in Marsh Samphire.
I think there may also be Golden Samphire in the same spot.

Took a good handful for some brekkie in the morning :) tastes superb, even raw. Now to catch that Bass!

2r425op.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice, I meant to keep an eye out for some at the weekend and forgot.

My gran used to pickle it when I was a kid and it put me off for life, I fancy having another taste now though, raw though

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've heard its not the best, pickled :p My granny had a few unusual one's too.
Raw, straight from the soil (insert mud) is rather good though!

Going to try it in the morning sautéed with some lardons of bacon, black-pudding and poached egg's.

Num, Num!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
tried samphire for the first time recently. Just steamed and eaten on its own. Interesting taste that way as its all the samphire not anything else. Want to get some now for myself to try with butter. Fortunately I live near the edge of the Morecambe Bay so I should be able to find some somewhere I reckon. Is there a season for it?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As far as I can gather...
April/may for young shoots, June/July is best and mid/end of August it starts to go a bit woody, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Brunch was a big hit :) I'll be down to collect some more very soon!

11tv0ue.jpg

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You bugger! That photo had me eating my laptop screen, I'm that hungry and it looked soooo nice! :(

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Its a shame scratch and sniff never really took off... That would have been torture LoL!

All worked really well, to the extent my taster wanted the same again tomorrow :)

Regards, al.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I have been looking for March Samphire around the east coast of Scotland this year without any luck at all. Good to hear first hand that it is tasty stuff - my edible seashore book does not recommend it as great eating but I want to chomp some down myself to test the theory.

Looks loverrly under that egg :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have been looking for March Samphire around the east coast of Scotland this year without any luck at all. Good to hear first hand that it is tasty stuff - my edible seashore book does not recommend it as great eating but I want to chomp some down myself to test the theory.

Looks loverrly under that egg :)

I think its quite nice in a sea salty kind of way. I've found it on the Solway Firth.
Another thing I found while walking with the wife and dog was Sea Radish, I only worked out what it was when I got home so never ate any.
Anyone know what it tastes like?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Don't forget to give the stuff a rinse before eating Al. There's some murky stuff in that mud.

Looks a great meal. I think I might be forced to take a trip that way later in the week...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Was washed before serving bud.... I did scoff some there and then though :rolleyes:

Once cooked the salty taste all but disappears and it’s not a million miles away form good quality asparagus!
I guess thats where the name 'Sea Asparagus' is quite apt.

And, it go's soooo well with bacon, egg and black pud.

Regards, al.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Never tried marsh samphire, but Rock samphire is great, steamed then a little melted butter drizzled over, or just steamed and eaten with bacon and egg inabun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE