Marsh or Wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Hi,

Just picked up a nice bushcraft knife off Stuart Marsh, really like it,. Got a few of Alan wood knives also,.. Stuart doesn't however taper his tangs where as Alan does.. Thing is can't decide which i prefer, you guys got any preferences..?

Andy.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's the old adage of 'you get what you pay for'. After several positive reviews of the SM knife, I went and bought one, and yes they are good knives. They are not up to the quality of AW knives though, in finish or construction. My SM needs sharpening far more frequently than the AW, and the point loses it's sharpness quite quickly.

That said, the original price of £89 was quite good, now you usually pay around £130 plus for one. There are far better finished knives out there for that kind of money. The WS micarta Woodlore was a better finished/made knife, and it was less money too at the time.

All in all, Stuart Marsh is still finding his feet in the business, and undoubtably the demand for Woodlore style knives has boosted the selling/asking price of his knives. I saw one sell for £230 on eBay last week!!! Alan Wood is a master of his art and his knives are his reputation and you cannot fault them, he has worked steel for years. I know there has been some QC issues with some of the Woody's, but I've never heard of any issues with his custom stuff.

I don't believe you can seriously compare the two together at this point. Both good knives aimed at disfferent areas of the market. It's akin to comparing Ardbeg to Bells :beerchug:

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Know what you are getting at, my custom woodys are far better finished I agree, however the one I had of SM was a one off (prob the one you saw on E bay) with the white micarta, this particular knife was V well finished, much better than a friends who has a standard SM bushcraft knife, anyway its nice to compare them.

May be selling a couple of custom woodys, dont seem to be allowed to upload any images or start a new thread in the classified section, anyone know the procedure for this. :confused:

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Andy

you have to be a paid up member to post a thread in the classified section.

Why not pay your subs and take it out of the money you will make on selling your woodys :D

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Didnt know this Phil, I did send a message to the administrator but got no reply, how you do this,,? :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE