marlinspike/fid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I dont where you would get one in the states but all its only a tapered steel spike with a wooden handle.Any Blacksmiths near you?
Easily made..

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Any half decent chandler (boat outfitter) should sell them. Or one of your outdoor superstores like BassPro etc. Assuming you live in a boaty area, I know I sore one in the BassPro in Frt. Lauderdale FL on holiday the other year.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Does anyone know how to make one? Or were to aquire one in the US?

thanks!
Given that you have access to the neccessary equipment, these can be made quite easily to suit your needs.
You do need to temper some.

But these spikes are available from just about any "chandler" or a supplier of deep sea fishing equipment.

Stateside, the lonnnnnng established Osborne Company make 'em ,to just about any size; though they are a little heavy.......but you can get Drew style spikes( duckbilled) from just about anywhere in the US (from 6 to 24 inches) or more and these are slightly better in use....as always, you can, with a file and emery paper, "tickle" .the profile of the duckbill tip to suit.

If you are dead set on having a brand new wooden handled spike, as opposed to a "pricker" type,then these are quite thin on the ground and your best bet would be to trawl the "old tool" markets. Generally, the wooden handled type was considered more of a "Sailmakers" tool, insomuch as the usage ,there in the loft, is likely to be less heavy-handed.....

Ceeg

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Greetings, I'm new here, ok if I jump right in?
I made up a few marlinspikes and fids this past winter; used old screwdrivers and various sized nails for spikes and a local hardwood for the fids(mountain mahogany/cercocarpus montanus) . Quick and easy projects.

Here's an essay on fids, with links to a US supplier:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/nichols/index1.htm
This is a good site: http://www.frayedknotarts.com/library.html
Check out "Sailmaking" page 2 and "Knives and Tools" sections for pics and ideas. There are some excellent advanced knotting tutorials on this site as well. Bushcraft meets the arts of the sailor.

Clint

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE