Maplin burner and stand

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I visited Son1 this afternoon and he has a new stove. It's this one from Maplin,
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228605

Runs for three hours on one £1 can of lighter gas, is very sturdy and astonishingly heavy for it's size. Very, very stable.

I'm due a prezzie, and I was going to ask for an anti midgie jacket, but this is tempting....... :D

Anyone else got one ?

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have something similar (a Rapijet stove)

Works fine, but, as you say, very heavy

Briliiant for caramlised bananas flambed in clavados at the dining table though!

Red

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Like 'Red I've got a Rapijet in the 'kit store' somewhere and agree they give plenty of heat, but are heavy..

never thought about using it at the table - probably burns hotter than my Calor-gas fuelled cooker does :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The can is used to fill the bottom of the burner. It has a small turn valve to control the flow and thus the height of the flame. Piezo starter on it . It was like a gas filled trangia.

I was impressed, it switched on and there it was happily burning away sitting neat and tidy, and cool enough on the base to sit it down on the living room table.:cool:

cheers,
Toddy

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Nope, nope, nope (in a Jimmy Stewart voice) - I'm still baffled!

But that's not hard - I'll just have to pay a visit to Maplins :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Think of it like filling a lighter. The stove has an internal tank and you squirt gas in the bottom from the cans that fill lighters

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
OH the penny has dropped!

Toddy, I thought you meant the gas can filled the hole in the middle of the base - it all makes sense now.

Many thanks, sorry for being a dolt :)

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Hey that's cool! Re, weight, is it just the stand that's heavy? Could you use the burner with an improvised stand?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Let us know how it goes, looks pretty good.

Bit of a strange request but if you do get it could you do a boil test? Just see how long it takes 500ml of water to reach boiling point. I know the numbers of some other stoves so it's sort of my comparison :D

Asa.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE