map reading

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

musicman

Jul 24, 2008
Scotland, Glasgow
Hi all,

i've been wanting to go hillwalking for years (i find the scenery awe-inspiring when passing through the trossachs area in the car), but to be honest I've got no idea where to start: the whole prospect's intimidating but I really want to do it. As said, I really don't have a clue about how to go about it: what should I know? I don't know how to read/follow maps and a compass; what gear i would need; how to plan routes; also haven't been wild camping.
Any help with these questions, and anything else you think i should know but haven't mentioned, would be very much appreciated.
Also, recommendations for books and courses on these topics are welcome.

Many thanks,
musicman

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A good place to start MM is with a local hill walking club.

They will have members who will be willing to help you out with the questions you have, you can go for walks in groups and build your experience up with them

Just a quick google turned up this club http://www.glasgowhf.co.uk/ and if you look on their 'how to join' page they have a basic kit list.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have a copy of the third edition of Eric Langmuir's classic book Mountaincraft & Leadership. This covers everything you are asking about. I would be happy to swap it if you want.:)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
couldn't get the link to load :s

Just been informed by SWMBO that they (ACO) might be doing some updates at the moment as part of Project Bader (As in Douglas) So I guess it will come back soon, Shame as it is really useful info and aimed at people who know nothing.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think that Ordanace Survey have online tutorials to help you learn. Finding somebody to teach you would bebbest, but I'm sure I have a map reading thingy from my Army days, a precis for a JNCO Cadre in fact, that is quite handy. I'll look for it and try to upload it as a PDF. This isn't gonna happen any time in the next few days though, unfortunately.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'd recommend the Manual of Map Reading and Land Navigation published by Ministry of Defence. It sells on Amazon for around fifteen quid. Excellent manual and worth every penny.

Eric

David.from.Holland

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2008
Holland
You could also book an organised multi-day hiking (and camping) trip. One properly guided outing should give you enough knowledge and confidence to start organising your own trips.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Without hesitation I'd recommend these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navigation-Walkers-Julian-Tippett/dp/1871890543

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hill-Walking-Official-Handbook-Mountain/dp/0954151100/ref=pd_sim_b_2

and there's loads of useful info on this website http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/practical/navigation.html

I've got a CD rom called The art of outdoor navigation by Martyn Hurn which is also excellent. You get taught techniques and then you can take some little tests to check your understanding and practice from the comfort of your PC before trying the techniques out for real. I bought mine years ago and don't know if it's still available but try calling these folks who produced the CD Rom http://www.boningtonnewmedia.com/cdrom_design.htm They should be able to tell you if it's still available and where to get it from.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi
Ird second Mesquite and Fred, another good text is Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff.
If you can spare the cash a course at Glenmore Lodge or with a mountain guide is money well spent, they usually advertise in magazines like Trail or TGO.
Its worth getting hold of copies of The Munro's and The Corbetts these books descibe the routes to all Scotish mountains over 914 meters and 760m respestively- giving route descriptions, terrain, time taken etc.
Your well placed in Glasgow with hills like Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps close by.
Dont be afraid to get out there, many of our hills have obvious paths and non easy terrain- just let somebody know where your going and what time you intend to be back.
A good website for an accurate weather forcast is www.mwis.org.uk.
As for gear you wont need much more than Boots, waterproofs, some warm layers, map and compass and some food, drink to get you started.Ed

http://www.sutton.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyr...9012-D0ACFECB7F92/0/map_reading_made_easy.pdf

http://www.sutton.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/03806A9B-659A-4C96-B2E5-5144D50A6A14/0/adv_map_reading.pdf

These are a couple of map reading sites I use. I teach map reading to Army Cadets and I have found these sites useful. I know there are lots of good books out there, but I believe that nothing beats going on a specific map reading course with a proper navigation exercise at the end. Either that, or go and spend as much time as possible with someong experienced and learn from them.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
www.thedump.scoutscan.coml

This site has some of the Gilwell books scanned, including the Map reading one.

Surprise no one said it but orientering groups would also teach map reading. A lot of places have the maps that you can practice with. I do not just mean country houses , Sutton Park in Birmingham have a course.

Aug 17, 2008
Moray
Hi Musicman,
I'd buy a map of your area of interest and read the key, there is loads of good gen on it. Don't worry about not remembering all the symbols at this stage as there aren't many spireless churches in the hills!
Open out the map and aquaint yourself with your location and surrounding landmarks, this is the first step and a very important one. Buy yourself a quality compass ( Buy cheap buy twice! ) a Silva Expedition 4 is one of the best.
Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff is a very good book for the begineer or experienced.
I was very lucky and taught by a number of very experienced guys.
If you have enough money to buy a GPS, DON'T BOTHER! save your money and put the money towards a course at Glenmore lodge in Aviemore. They are very good, I have first hand experience of their Mountineering courses.
I've been on mountain rescue for 6 years and you're right to be wary. Don't be scared though it's like any skill, practice and you'll get better. If you get lost you will learn from it.

Take care

Dave

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I would be more than happy to meet up perhaps next weekend and take you through some basic map reading if you are interested, and I also have a spare copy of an os map reading tutorial cd looking for a loving home. if you are interested pm me and we'll organize a meet and I'll give you my number. I'm pretty sure I have a spare silva compass lying about your welcome to (if I can find it that is).
Oh I am ex forces and an ex Cadet and Ta instructor for all military subjects map reading included naturally.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
If you want to learn how to read maps in a fun way go to a local orienteering meet. If it’s a family one, and most are, you can walk around and concentrate on honing your map skills. These clubs are very welcoming of casual competitors. Orienteering is the best way to teach navigation with map and compass because:
1) The course is laid out for you and in that sense you have real challenges.
2) It forces you to ‘read’ a map. By that I mean consider your route taking into account terrain, natural obstacles, etc.
3) It can be done on a crisp Sunday September morning before lunch, and the cost is negligible.
4) If you get lost it won’t matter, ‘cus others will be as well.
5) Above all else it’s fun for all the family. Kids learn to read maps properly without even knowing they are doing it, just let them beat you once and they can navigate like a pro.
Once you have mastered the subtle techniques of map and compass that books can’t teach, you can then take part in a night orienteering meet during the winter. If you can complete one of these before the finish time, you will never get lost outdoors again! (Be warned if you do this with a good friend you will laugh so hard it will hurt, trust me!)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
You may find that the Trossachs,Lomond or Killin MOUNTAIN RESCUE teams run a good navigation day for £20. The rangers also run one in the Pentlands.

I would start with Dumyat behind stirling.

I have done 143 munros so a few to do. An orienteering book will help too. You may find the MLTUK Hillwalking guide in your lib.
Also google for the Clyde O and St Andrews Orienteering clubs which have permanent Orienteering courses, one in MUGDOCK for instance, which you can try out and practice on. Mugdock is great for contour training.
Nick

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be more than happy to meet up perhaps next weekend and take you through some basic map reading if you are interested, and I also have a spare copy of an os map reading tutorial cd looking for a loving home. if you are interested pm me and we'll organize a meet and I'll give you my number. I'm pretty sure I have a spare silva compass lying about your welcome to (if I can find it that is).
Oh I am ex forces and an ex Cadet and Ta instructor for all military subjects map reading included naturally.

Now thatas the kind of thing/offer that makes me love this site
what a generous offer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE