Map reading and navigation for beginners?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Myself and 14 other chaps from my village are going to do the Yorkshire 3 peaks for charity in June this year. The walk experience between us all is a little varied and some of them have no map reading or navigation skills. I can read map and my navigation is ok but it has been a quite a few years since I have really used it so I don't think I'm good enough to try and teach these chaps.

So I'm looking for any resources I can use to get them to have at least basic map reading and navigation skills. I know the 3 peaks isn't that hard and is more like walking on the motorway but that's not the point. If we are going in to the hills we should be prepared for it.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
If you could arrange for everyone to be at one location one evening, perhaps someone from the nearest Moorland/Mountain Rescue team or a senior from the Explorer Scouts might attend and go through the basics of map and compass. A small contribution to their unit funds might help.. :) A joint 'lesson' might be better than individuals reading up various info resources

DomBrister

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Morton
try a local school
I teach in Stamford and teach the basics to my school kids, then more advanced to the outdoor education/Duke of Edinburgh. Anyone looking locally I would ask to come in and use my silver students to teach them the basics... your local school may do the same?
feel free to drop me a line, but its a fair drive, and might need a map to get here.
Dom

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Don't underestimate the three peaks though - walking on a motorway it aint! Lots of folk who start it don't finish, and the weather can be tricky. Fog on the flat summit of Ingleboro' will leave you very disorientated, for example.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Don't underestimate the three peaks though - walking on a motorway it aint! Lots of folk who start it don't finish, and the weather can be tricky. Fog on the flat summit of Ingleboro' will leave you very disorientated, for example.
Some parts of the route are wide and will have lots of people on them, hence the motorway comment but I'm not underestimating them, this is why I want to make sure the group of us can navigate especially if the weather turns on us.
On another note for this walk I'm trying to make sure the level of first aid between us in the group is of an acebtable level and that while we all carry our own persnonal first aid kits we will have some extra kit for the group, not sure what will be required yet. This is going to be asked on here soon :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE