Managed to beat the birds!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
For the first time in 3 years I've managed to beat the birds to a modest haul of cherries from the tree. And the missus STILL doesn't believe you can eat them. Would have a lot more had I been able to climb a ladder but I'm advised not to even walk yet. But then I suppose the birds deserve to eat too.
3f15506259f212907e2796b4029e8e1c.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No UK cherries are toxic. Some are more palatable thàn others but none are in any way toxic if you spit the stones out.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
In eight years at our last home the cherries were always taken by starlings before they were fully ripe from all four trees, so your modest haul is indeed a victory :D
Looks enough for a nice clafouti

Rob.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
No UK cherries are toxic. Some are more palatable thàn others but none are in any way toxic if you spit the stones out.

It's because she tried an unripened one a couple of years ago and assumed that's how they always taste. These fellas are sweet as you fancy!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I think a batch of cherry brandy is in order! 😀

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I like your thinking! The tree is covered in them. I think another little family member has put the birds off just enough
c5b56bacd95d8fc9e9d5711865079aa1.jpg

She's been standing guard since last Autumn

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Maybe some woodpigeon in the food bowl! If she hasn't filled up on starlings

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Haha your spoiling her! You should cook the pigeon for yourself Hmmm maybe some cherry and woodpigeon infusion? Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice one! We should get a fair few of our trees this year, put a bit of mesh around one particularly heavy branch just so I know I'll get some :).

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Nice one! We should get a fair few of our trees this year, put a bit of mesh around one particularly heavy branch just so I know I'll get some :).
We where tempted by that. I always get the odd one but never a meaningful amount. And while I'll happily go out and shoot pigeons of a weekend, SWMBO has granted them sanctuary in the garden. So it's a case of beating them. The cat has definitely put them off though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE