Malt vinegar powder

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Folks
can anyone direct me to a supplier of malt vinegar powder who does small amounts, say a pound bag as opposed to the catering/industrial sizes I've found on the web in the UK. They do do small bags in the US but I don't fancy importing bags of strange powder...

If you can help out please drop me a line at 'tombear_at_btopenworld_dot_co m'

Thanks

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
You'd be horrified to see what you can get in powdered form! They also do Cider, red wine, white wine, white, balsamic and plain old vinegar as powder.

Years ago some one marketed a small shaker pot of "salt and vinegar" to go on chips, no doubt it gave you some horrible condition and it was banned but since I use a lot of vinegar and am avoiding salt I was looking for something useful to go in the big section on the "Swiss Spice" travel cruet the wifes just bought me.

A quick look on the back of a bag of crisps gave me a clue and a web search gave me

http://www.spicebarn.com/vinegar_powder.htm

So now its a case of finding a reasonable sized pack.

Tom (on holiday with time on my hands)

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Interesting link. I was thinking about lightweight trail food the other day. The dehydrated stuff you buy from the camping shops is very expensive. When you look at the ingredients of "Beef stew with noodles" you see that the beef content is very low, typically < 10%. Before that in the list comes noodles, flavourings, onion powder etc etc etc. The noodles are quite cheap to buy. For the meat content you might as well not bother. And the meaty taste is nearly always enhanced by additives.

I compared a brand name travel lunch with a supermarket "office lunch" type product. Practically identical ingredients (although they might not taste the same) and almost the same calorific value. Travel lunch is twice as expensive per unit weight.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Tom,
Probably worth editing that to be 'tombear_at_btopenworld_dot_com' or something as there is web crawling software that harvests email addresses and you'll get spammed!

Cheers,
Steve

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
This is a Red Wine Polyphenols concentrate, it is produced from Chilean red wines, which are one of the most rich in Flavonoids world-wide. It is standardized at > 18 %, > 25 % , > 40 % or 46 % of Polyphenols and a minimun of 8 % anthocyanins. It is produced as a powder. This is a spray dried Polyphenols concentrate, high in anthocyanins, catechin, quercetin, resveratrol and Proanthocyanidins, some of the powerful antioxidants found in red wines. The alcohol, sugar and some other undesirable red wine components are removed during the process.

I found the above on the net, and my suspicions that a Just - Add - Water powdered red wine did not actually exist proved to be true. Since when has alcohol been an undesirable component of red wine? This had the potential to be the Bushcrafter's second best friend, after the trusty knife.

You raised my hopes for a moment there Tombear, only to have them cruelly dashed...

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
This is a Red Wine Polyphenols concentrate, it is produced from Chilean red wines, which are one of the most rich in Flavonoids world-wide. It is standardized at > 18 %, > 25 % , > 40 % or 46 % of Polyphenols and a minimun of 8 % anthocyanins. It is produced as a powder. This is a spray dried Polyphenols concentrate, high in anthocyanins, catechin, quercetin, resveratrol and Proanthocyanidins, some of the powerful antioxidants found in red wines. The alcohol, sugar and some other undesirable red wine components are removed during the process.

You raised my hopes for a moment there Tombear, only to have them cruelly dashed...

However, there's light at the end of the tunnel as anthocyanin CoenzymeQuercitin and other anti-oxidants are great at reducing Radical Oxidant Species (ROS) and, therefore, the onset of fatigue during exercise! So you can whittle harder, walk further, friction-firelight in the dampest of conditions, stay warm when wet, etc, etc!!! :D

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Just rehydrate it with Vodka and the alcohol is back.Mmmmmm lovely.:beerchug:

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE