Mallet for battoning/small froe

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Wrap the striking faces with plenty of wet rawhide, Tom; it's never going to be indestructable but it lasts a surprisingly long time.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not at all sure about ash to be honest, its not one of the woods i associate with mallet heads. Handles, yes.

If the chap I know gets a chance to fell what he needs to I'll be hock deep in beech (excellent when seasoned for mallet heads and battons) and sycamore that Im looking forward to turning into vast amounts of treen.

With the rawhide, what the best way to fix the ends?

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you wind the rawhide on starting at the end opposite the handle, just use the first wrap to trap itself; when you get all the way up do the handle as well and then whip it with any hard-wearing cheap twine or nylon line.
I used the ubiquitous IPK stuff for a lot of these semi-throwaway jobs, and a little dab of glue to finish if you can't be chuffed to whip properly.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mallets for froe work are disposable. Get another piece of log and keep going. About to cut down #3 handle part. When they are well and truely thrashed, I toss them over my side fence for the neighbor to burn in his fire pit. Hope to remember to get a pic of #2 to post, it really is beat to Hello.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh aye, it won't last long but being wood poor I have to extend the life the best I can without putting in too much effort. Also I really need the practice turning so its no chore over engineering these things. The only downer is the extra sharpening which is something else I need to practice.

i may add a lanyard hole as the one I wouldn't like to drop this sucker on my foot!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When that lots dried out it will make some corking cudgel walking sticks.

The chap who's clearing his huge garden has marked off a four foot section of a great big hawthorn that he will save for me rather than cut up into fire wood lengths. I guess it will take at least 5 years to season.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok its taken me two years but I finally put the froe handle on the lathe and skimmed a mill or so off it so it now fits easily into the slot in the leather case. The hot wax had shrunk it and Id made it too tight a fit anyway.

froeCover_zpsozlmfkum.jpg

Ive used up my last freebie sycamore blank from about the same time I got the froe and turned a little six inch bowl for myself. Im a bit rusty but its OK for a user rather than something to give someone.

6inchSyc_zpsel3zs2pa.jpg

I need to scrounge some more wood but i cant get my Freegle or Freecycle to work, I may have to rejoin them.

ATb

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE