Making your own knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
Hi Guys, I've decided to make my own knife for a bit of a project and was wondering if anyone knows where to get some cheap blade blanks?

Cheers

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd highly recommend brisa - I looked at various places for components and I've now had two orders through brisa. IMO the service is excellent - prices are extremely good, the delivery of my last order was four days (from Finland), correspondence is friendly and quick.

I think it's 10€ for postage, so it's worth planning ahead or getting together with a mate and buying all you need at once. I'd also look at www.axminster.co.uk for wood, if you want wooden handles.

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
Thanks again guys, I couldn't find any good links when I googled, brisa are soooooooo cheap aswell compared to the ones I did find. :You_Rock_

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
WelshTriffid said:
Hi Guys, I've decided to make my own knife for a bit of a project and was wondering if anyone knows where to get some cheap blade blanks?

Cheers

You don't say if you intend to forge your own blade from a blank of knife steel but unless you've had some experience of hot metalwork I strongly suggest you start by buying a kit with a finished blade. If you struggle with the fixing of handle scales and securing pins (and I'm not suggesting you will) you'll thank me. Honest!

Cheers

K

This my attempt at what I suggest you try first:
SmallDropPoint.jpg
[/IMG]

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
This was my (second) go at knife making. It's been cleaned up a bit since then. But it's worth having a go.

Attachments

• Knife2.JPG
    Knife2.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 125

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Ahjno said:
A knife blade is cool, but you need a handle too ;)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=10436
:lmao:
:p
;)

Great information! Well done and thanks for posting the link again.

If I could be certain of getting a similar set of "exhibition grade" Masur or Curly birch blanks (as dipicted) I would change my current Alan Wood two-knife set commision in rams horn without hesitation. Do you know the supplier of those blanks used for each knife???

Cheers

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE