Making your own Billycans

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I thought Id do a post on how I make up my Billy's
Start of with a stainless steel storage tin these ones were from Morrisons if I remember right :)
DSCF0002-5.jpg

Take your tin and tie a piece of string around it and knot it.
Then slide it off the tin and fold in half at the knot mark with a pen the middle.
DSCF0003-4.jpg

Slide it back on to your tin this gives you the tins polar opposites on the rim mark the tin with marker.
DSCF0005-4.jpg

Here is a side View of my D rings that I like to fit you can see there a loose fit
DSCF0009-1.jpg

I set mine with a scrap bit of metal and a mallet they now look like this
DSCF0012-3.jpg

Line them up on the side of your tin and mark where the holes need to be drilled
DSCF0013-5.jpg

I use a center punch and a small hammer to start where the holes are to go.
I put a piece of timber in my vice and use that to support the tin while I center punch it.
I use a little pillar drill and a new drill bit to drill my holes. A good tip is to put your pots lid back on when drilling as it helps to stop the pot flexing.
DSCF0015-5.jpg

I like to drill my holes so there a tight fit for the little stainless steel bolts that I use .
I need to screw them in , I only ever drill one hole at a time and the double check that the other hole in the D ring lines up with the mark. if not just rehammer the centerpunch mark.
You end up with this
DSCF0021-2.jpg

Cut the bolts down and leave a few mm proud I now peen the ends of the bolts with a ball peen hammer I slide the tin onto the horn of my anvil. It can be done with a peice of timber supporting the inside of the pot and the hammer.
DSCF0022-3.jpg

Now you will need some electrical connectors I got mine in Asdas bargain 75p for a strip on them enough to do half a dozen handles. And some steel cable this cable is stainless steel and a good bit thicker that bycical brake cable that ive use in the past.
It came of some maker Buoys that ripped free in the last floods we had.
It wreaked the clips that hold them in place so the were free to recycle :)
DSCF0024-3.jpg

once cut open they give you the clamps I just use a Stanly knife :)
DSCF0025-2.jpg

Cut your cable to length with a sharp pair of snips and thread through the D rings and tighten up with a Screw driver and a pair of pliers.
DSCF0026-3.jpg

Take a scrap of paper and draw around your lid
DSCF0030-2.jpg

Fold your circle in half then half again so its a quarter now open it up again and place on top of your lid.
DSCF0033-1.jpg

I like my lid D Ring to be just off center the fold in the paper make it easy to line it up nice and central to the middle :) Drill and fit your D ring to the lid.
I use a large bolt held in the vice to support the inside of the bolts to allow me to peen them the big bolt supports them one at a time :)
DSCF0034-2.jpg

All peen
DSCF0035-1.jpg

It does very little damage to the inside of the bolts so you don't end up with sharp edges in side your pot :)
DSCF0038-2.jpg

After that you should end up with something that should look like this
DSCF0043-1.jpg

The small one will boil about 600 ml and the large one just over 1100ml :)

Any Questions ?

Russ

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Thats cool mate, very neat and clean.

My billy is a coffee tin, punched 2 holes through with the reamer on my SAK, got an old wire coat hander bent it, popped it through the hole and bent the ends to keep it in place.

Yours is much better though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE