Making of a set of hand made tools

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi guys,
It's been a while since I wanted to start making some wood working tools. I think it would be a great experience for me as a blacksmith and my set of tools is missing a few vital pieces :) I'm thinking to start with a froe. It's a simple (by the looks of it) tool. I have a leaf spring that should do well for the steel. Any dimensions guys before I start guessing? :) I know that quite a few of ya have froes, anything I should know about the tool before starting?

Andy

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Make sure the eye is well formed or you will have trouble fitting a handle. In an ideal world it should be a bit tapered.

If you can weld the eye closed that would be good.
It doesn't need to be extremely hard, but a relatively hard cutting edge is a good start. With a relatively soft spine, as you will be hitting that with a hammer.

Start relatively small -no more than 10" I'd say.

Cheers

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Thanks Mac, that's very helpful. ;) Hope to get it done next week. Not sure how I'll manage to harden a blade that long, but we'll see.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Stick it in a large fire, the heat should get pretty even across the whole thing then quench as you would do normally. I'd temper it to a blue colour if possible. Or maybe use a blowtorch to heat it from the spine.

Remember it doesn't need to have a wickedly sharp edge.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
OK, so my froe job went to rubbish pile as I rushed to finish it and tried hardening in water..... BIG MISTAKE
But I had another project under way and I needed a tool for it. I cut an old lime tree, and the trunk was rotten, so I thought it would be nice to give a return to nature by making an owls nest. And hollowing trunks was always a major problem, as general chisels would not reach deep inside and I would always get my knuckles injured. NOT ANY MORE

485943_10200592941776292_930640912_n.jpg

I made this gouge for this specific job. I needed it to be long, with a really firm an long handle to withstand the pressure you put on it when emptying hollows.

Over all length is 21''. I fitted the handle in a socket, which has proved to be quite a job, but well worth it as it really takes a lot more abuse with no worries to brake it.

734421_10200592942096300_876189916_n.jpg

Width of the cutting edge is 1,2' (3cm), made out of carbon steel (CX15).

2522_10200592941616288_36009844_n.jpg

So this is officially my first WORKING tool that I made and tested! Can't be more happy as it was one or another that did not allowed me to be successful before. I knocked up a huge owls nest in a couple of ours, a job that would have taken me a day before and that left me very very impressed. But hey, no pics, no proof :D So will get back to you soon :D

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Great stuff, thanks for showing us goodjob

A quick pointer, you need to use " to show inches using ' means feet, so your gouge is 21 feet long ;)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That looks like one awesome chisel, Really love the look it and the handle shape , really really nice.
And lol 21 feet that would be a decent size chisel ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That's great Milius. Very nicely done.
im on the verge of making one of those myself.

All the best
Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very neat - I like that a lot. It would be great to be able to make tools like that - a skill I must learn!

Mar 14, 2012
uk
im loving it did you make the handle :D
oh and the cutting edge i reckon is 1,2" rather than 1,2' but other than that its all good ;)
Cheers Ed

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That's great Milius. Very nicely done.
im on the verge of making one of those myself.

All the best
Andy

Cheers mate, hope all goes well for you and soon we get to see it. I would have a few questions as there were some problems, the worst part for me was forging the socket for a handle, really had to try a few times before anything came out,,,

Very neat - I like that a lot. It would be great to be able to make tools like that - a skill I must learn!

Hehe, thanks BR, knew you'd like it :D I hope to make a few more tools in my life... :D

im loving it did you make the handle :D
oh and the cutting edge i reckon is 1,2" rather than 1,2' but other than that its all good ;)
Cheers Ed

Cheers thebushcrafter, yes I turned it on a lathe from a seasoned ash. Haven't turned a thing for ages so I think it's not bad.. :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
For one that size you would probably need to upset the material a bit then flatten it right out.

Watch a few arrow making videos on YouTube to get the idea. Check out John Neeman's video on chisel making too.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE