Making musical instruments

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Here is my first attempt at making a wind instrument. Tuned to the scale of G it makes a half decent scale moderately playable. They are pan pipes with a reed cut into the top edge, made from elder - making use of the hollow stems and stabilised by binding to split elder. Have you made any instruments?

PANP.JPG

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
That's looking gorgeous. What a great idea!

I've never tried making any musical instruments (unless you can count hitting things with a stick as a drum). There must be some others that won't be too difficult. For example, take one of your elder tubes, make a plunger for it and hey presto - a swannie whistle!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Thanks Mark

It started out with just the long one thinking it might make some sort of flute. I had no idea how to get a note out of it at first. I think with S. American pan pipes they mostly just blow across the top. But I couldn't get that to work, so I found a web site describing a japanese flute with the top edge cut at an angle. That worked if I covered the end. But then I worked out that with a covered end it would not sound notes if I made holes in the pipe. So a set of pipes was the next idea. I looked up the mathematics of how long pipes should be for different notes and cut a set. At the higher/ shorter end I made a few mistakes and replaced tubes a couple of times.

I still have to sort out a permanent way to stop the ends as at the moment I am using my fingers. I might try candle wax. Chewing gum, plasticine, or wood filler are other alternatives.

Until this week it was just a pile of tubes. Finally got round to thinking how to join them together and it all came together in the last couple of days. The knots are a series of Japanese square lashings that make a handsome knot.

I heard a bit about making swanny whistles recently. I think the sliding bit has to make quite a good air seal, but I may be wrong there. I think I recall someone describing how to make a simple one out of a stick and its loosened tube of bark.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
That's true, I hadn't stopped to think whether the pan pipes are open or closed at the ends. Acoustically they're very different.

I look forward to seeing your super dooper swanny whistle!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
mark a. said:
That's looking gorgeous. What a great idea!

I've never tried making any musical instruments (unless you can count hitting things with a stick as a drum). There must be some others that won't be too difficult. For example, take one of your elder tubes, make a plunger for it and hey presto - a swannie whistle!

All of the above (are you my long lost twin) :D

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
:eek: ....The face says it all!!.....lol
Ye forgot t' say that it was made upside down.......but it still works......Made a few dij's out o' 3'' bamboo in the past couple o' weeks an' all.......I'm just a music nut......can get a note out o' most things.....
Lovin' yer pan's Rich......the trick is t' make them in a curve so's ye don't has t' move them so far across yer face t' play.
I think we gots the makin's o' a great band here peeps!.......something t' liven up the parachute tent next year eh?.... :headbang:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
We tried to make a swanee whistle at the recent Norfolk meet using elder with dislodged bark, to no avail (as far as I remember). I also tried making a simple elder whistle but no sound! Will keep trying.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Excellent, well done mate. I'm a bit of a tecno idiot but wondered how difficult it is to post sound recordings? Might add an extra level of understanding and learning especially to such an excellent thread, not to mention to this forum in general.

Moko

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Folks. I have been away for the last few days on a music week - nothing directly to do with bushcraft, but ... wow, my head is now full of the potential for making simple musical intruments - particularly a variety of percussion instruments - and for exploring the musical instruments of various primitive cultures.

We used 3-4 different types of percussion instruments - shakers, drums, "frogs" made of wood, bells. A very enthusiastic tutor got us making great rhythms together. This would be a great activity for a bushmoot - make up some instruments and then play them together!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE