Making Mitts – part 1. (Pic heavy)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Making Mitts – part 1.

The liner pattern.

Because it is easier to explain with the addition of photographs it is my intention to do this ‘How to’ spread over a couple of threads – hopefully this will help ease the problems for those with slow dial up and lower speed broad band.

Equipment needed:

Paper
Pencil
Cardboard
Cutting board
Narrow tipped blunt instrument (ball-point pen, leather work stylus etc)
Sharp knife
Scissors

The shape of the hands of the person I’m making these mitts for.

ThehandsImdoingfor_a.jpg

That I’m making them for someone who lives quite a distance means that I cannot easily check for correct fitting. This means that I will probably need to make some adjustments as I go – all the better to show how to make some of the corrections you may need to make.

The first step is to mark out the shape of your hands on a piece of paper; hands flat, fingers together and your thumb pulled into the side of your hand. Because the person I’m making the mitts for hasn’t included the marks I have included tracings of my own hand to better illustrate what I mean.

Startingthepattern_a.jpg

N.B.

Some people may prefer shorter mitts (or gloves) and some like longer.
Include, depending on your own preferences, a few inches of wrist when you draw around your hand.

The tracing doesn’t need to be exact, a little oversized is fine.

Once you have marked around your hand and wrist you need to mark your finger spread. Without lifting your hand or wrist from the paper, move your digits so that there is a gap of approximately a half inch (12mm) between each digit; you also need to move your thumb a half inch from your hand.

Also note that I have marked the positions of the wrist ‘knuckle’ and the life line.

Marking the life line is important as it dictates where the gauche (thumb) hole needs to be.
Marking the position of the wrist ensures that you make the pattern the correct length.

Starting to make the pattern.

The spread of your digits gives a rough guide to the width of the trank pattern. The pattern needs to be approximately an inch (25mm) wider than your hand – on both sides!

Making the pattern slightly wider at the wrist makes it easier to put the mitt on.

Markingthesidesofthepattern_a.jpg

Now that you have marked the sides you can draw in the end of the trank – again this needs to include the extra inch.

Shapingthemitttip_a.jpg

I found this pattern below online and having copied it I lost the address. This pattern gives the shape of the gauche (thumb piece) and the gauche hole – just copy and paste into ‘Word’ (or equivalent).

Mittenpattern_tutorial.gif

In ‘Word’ change the width and/or length of the pattern as necessary. When you have a pattern that you think is an approximate match for the pattern you have created, print it off and compare it to the pattern of your hand – this is why it was important to mark the finger spread and life line.
If the patterns do not match, adjust the ‘Word’ pattern for length and/or width and try again.

You can fore-go drawing around your hand, but I find that I print a lot more ‘gauche and trank’ pages in the attempt to get the sizing correct.

Once you have a suitable pattern save it for future use – remember to include ‘Liner’ in the title.

Now transfer the pattern onto tracing paper – or in this case grease proof baking paper.

This is another bit you could skip – I just find the following steps easier to do on a tracing of the pattern.

Tracethepattern_a.jpg

Making the pattern cards.

For this step you’ll need some cardboard. Use a small, blunt, object to ***** through the pattern and into the cardboard below. You can use card but make sure that there is at least one ‘safe’ layer beneath it!

Transferthepattern_a.jpg

The gauche pattern pricked out. For some reason I find I get a better cut if I draw the shape of the pattern onto the card.

Gauchecard_a.jpg

The gauche pattern cut out and ready to go.

Gauchecutout_a.jpg

As is the trank pattern.

Trankcutout_a.jpg

You now have the pattern ready for transferring to your liner material.

That next part will follow when I return from a short holiday

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE