Making a "playground"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Guido

Nov 13, 2019
North Wales
Hello all!

I'm Guy, aka Guido (school nickname that stuck...well the less offensive one)

I though I should introduce myself and a little about me.

I grew up in very rural North Wales, learning all sorts of things from my Grandpa and my Dad. Usually making, hunting, trapping, having fun and blowing things up.

Many many years later on, moving around a bit I am back in less rural N.Wales, both patriarchs now no longer with us, but my own two wood imps to contend with, I have a need (you'd normally say yearning, but this is stronger) to pass on some really important skills to the youngsters.

Here's the quirk, several years before my Dad had his accident, he bought some land with a barn on it.
This has been unused for some time, and after my brother and I spent some time clearing the undergrowth and having a "wild" weekend, the bushcraft bug bit me again.

I managed to get to a Natural Resources Wales funded 2 day bushcraft course, which affirmed my desire!
This was open to those working with youngsters, which i do as an assistant Cub leader (yeah i'm nutty one that likes fire and all the riskier activities! every pack has at least one!)

Before I'd even found the forum, I'd begun working on my facebook page, non-business, just to document plans, projects and try outs of skills.

So the idea is to "do up" the barn (see avatar image) tame a bit of the undergrowth, and start on the "wish list" of things to do. Hopefully I'll get the time to share these on here too!

Cheers

Guy

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Welcome to the forum Guy, looks like you've got a great project, keep us all updated.

Reactions: Guido

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
Hello Guy
Welcome to the forum.
There are quite a few others here that are involved in scouting. I am a Cub and Scout leader
Like you we never miss an opportunity to have a fire or do outdoor activities.
We have just taken our cubs up to some private woodland and played capture the flag in the pitch black.
(No torches except in an emergency) they loved it
Chalkflint

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Cub and scout leader? Busy guy!

Sorry digression.

Good luck achieving your plans half the fun is the travel.

Other than doing up the barn and bushcraft, what are your future plans for the land/ site? Will you let Cubs loose on it? Our scout group has the luxury of land with the hall and it gives plenty of opportunities for activities. From clearance (the hall was opened a year ago and the land was so overgrown that they could not get any contractors to work on it) to maintenance and obviously fire. Then there's archery, air guns and just outdoor games. Also, making it nature friendly, planting trees, etc.

Whatever your plans with the land and barn involving kids will give both you and them a lot. Even if it is only your kids involved. I say only but that's more than enough good.

Anyway, as others said, keep us updated with the project.

Guido

Nov 13, 2019
North Wales
Cub and scout leader? Busy guy!

Sorry digression.

Good luck achieving your plans half the fun is the travel.

Other than doing up the barn and bushcraft, what are your future plans for the land/ site? Will you let Cubs loose on it? Our scout group has the luxury of land with the hall and it gives plenty of opportunities for activities. From clearance (the hall was opened a year ago and the land was so overgrown that they could not get any contractors to work on it) to maintenance and obviously fire. Then there's archery, air guns and just outdoor games. Also, making it nature friendly, planting trees, etc.

Whatever your plans with the land and barn involving kids will give both you and them a lot. Even if it is only your kids involved. I say only but that's more than enough good.

Anyway, as others said, keep us updated with the project.

As far as plans go, I was going to see where it led, would have no issue with a wild camp for the cubs or scouts. Even if it isn't an over night.

I have some materials on the way to set up some off grid power, to allow an auto watering system set up (rainwater) in the adjoining greenhouse at the rear of the barn, will allow for some fun growing stuff with minimal daily input.

My kids are getting excited at the idea of doing things with the space. Shall see where it goes!

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fantastic. Grow some food. Weatherproof the barn for basic shelter.
Have you got much local stone to use for hearths and fire places?
I think that open fire cooking ranks above most any bushcraft skills.

Guido

Nov 13, 2019
North Wales
The barn is in a valley side cut, where Stone was extracted for the local farm houses, but... it is silurian shale (sp?) So essentially slate, which can go bang if heated. But as it were a glacial valley there are other stones, plus the ground is rich in clay.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Great news! Get lots of wood bucked up* and split to sit and dry.
Build some stone fire pits to cook in.
* process a log

I hope it's quiet. Peaceful. Just you and the birds, maybe some squirrels and deer.
What's really starting to pi$$ me off is the constant slamming of car doors, all damn day.

Every good wilderness campsite here can be identified by the fire pit of stone.
Clearly, some have been added to for many years = places for pots & pans.
The actual fire spot is never very big, not more than 24" across.
Most of these, you can drive right up to it if you like. Tent sites are easy to see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE