Making a metal lid for Crusader cup

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I foolishly bought a plastic lid for my metal crusader cup, having been tempted by the promise of "shorter boil times". I also like the idea of keeping crud out of the water.

In use, "Chocolate teapot" is a surprisingly apt comparison as the darn thing melted. I contacted the supplier who suggested it was designed for stove top use only.

Anyhow, I am keen to make/buy/trade a metal lid. I've seen a few pop-up on here. I am short of time and materials to DIY (though it would be my preferred option normally.)

Anyone know who could make me one?

Failing that, a how-to guide?

Thanks in advance,

Xav

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A pm to warthog1981 is how most of us acquired ours. He occasionally makes up a batch (when he forgets how sore his hands get :rolleyes: ;) ), posts on the forum, and then they sell out like hotcakes :D
Good kit :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I sympathize with you!Those lids are almost as useless as the hanging loop:rolleyes:
If no-one else steps up ill make you one out of stainless steel sheet no problem.:)

Or,if you want to make one.Draw around the cup top on peice of paper allowing a cm extra all round.This is your template.Transfer that to a bit of metal of your choice and cut it out.Now bend the edge over all round so it forms a lip and sits on the cup properly.Add a loop of some kind to the top as well.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Thanks, folks. I'll have a rummage around the workshop and see if I have any suitable offcuts I had forgotten.

If not, I'll grovel to Warthog!

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi launditch1,
Warthog makes some good lids and i have one (topman).
But in Stainless steel i would be interested in a price on one?
Cheers Topknot

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
That's a kind offer, Launditch1.

Warthog is kindly looking through his shed to see if there are any spare lids/seconds available.

If not, I may need your help!

Thanks,

Xav

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Russ (Warthog) kindly sold me a "second" (looks fine to me!) for a bargain price. What a nice guy!

Cheers, Russ.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE