Making a leather belt - video from John Neeman Tools

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Is it just me or are they getting a tad pretentious?

Considering the the founders fell out and john neeman has gone off and set up his own company I wonder how long it will be before there is a name change?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I do like the Neeman tools videos, but I have a feeling deep down it's not quite like that.. Probably consists of alot more backstabbing, plooms of smoke belching from chimneys and endless lawsuits. Lol

Nice looking belt though, and goiod to see the tools used to do it. :)

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Bloody hell they are an expensive company :yikes: I would have thought the labour costs in Latvia were far lower and their prices would reflect this?
They look good quality but I could get high quality English tools far cheaper here from many of the excellent artisans on this forum or commercially like a nice Dave Budd, Mark Constable or Nic Westermann.
I think they need to look at their prices. Do they do much business?
Thanks for sharing though...

ATB
Craeg

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Whomever shoots and edits the videos are maybe a little over romantic :)

squidinc

Jun 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Jacob used to work in video editing professionally before he gave it all up to work as a carpenter, there's a video on the youtube channel that explains it I think

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The videos are a major selling point, and if you know what you're looking at, clearly a tad romanticised.

The axe making video of theirs is excellent. But you don't get a constant flame height in your forge if you're using a hand pumped bellows, and you don't just have a decent temperature controlled heat treating oven kicking about, laser etching machines aren't cheap either!

They've got the shiny kit, clearly a lot of money went into the workshop. And they have a good name and reputation.

If you look at the video john neeman put up in his Autine video "how to make an axe" you get a better idea of how things are really done.

Disappointingly though I saw another video showing that autine are using a filler when fitting the handles. I'd be raging if I'd paid nearly $400 for an axe, for it to then come loose at the handle.

This is all sounds very negative but don't get me wrong, they are doing very well as a company.

Andy

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
quick Q:

anyone know what does he add to the beeswax before rubbing it on? and why he does this? i assume more weather resistance, or am I off the mark?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE