Making a draw knife

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Been thinking for a while about making a draw knife. I am sure I could make a good one, but have never used one ! I have a project in mind where it could be useful.
The easiest one for me to make would be one with straight handles (i.e in line with the edge), but probably 90% (or more) of the ones I have seen have the handles at 45 to 90 degrees to the edge. There must be a reason for this, so I am asking the question to people who do or have used one what are the benefits of using angled handles ?
Thanks
Eifion

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I have only ever used the ones with straight handles and found them to work fine for me.

Only reason I can think of for the the angles handles is extra strength and therefore being able to make more powerful cuts (I'm only guessing here).

The straight handles ones seem more suited to lighter work whereas the angled ones, from the photos I've seen appear to have the equivalent of a full tang.

Anyway just my two pence worth.

Hamster

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
The right angled handles give much more control over the angle of the blade to the workpeice, which controls how deep you cut. Mine has right angled handles and is very good. You can remove a lot of wood with a draw knife. Mine has a single steep bevel which seems best.

I would reccomend you use thicker steel such as 3/16 or even quarter. If you used a peice of leaf spring around 20" long (or buy ground flat stock) and shaped tangs on either end you could heat until cherry red and bend easily. Harden and temper the blade but try to keep the tangs soft so you can pein them over a washer on the handles. Turned handles would be good if you could use a lathe. Or you could avoid bending and make full tang handles. Whatever you do you really don't want too hard a blade or you will get chips every time you hit a knot but with careful tempering you should be fine.

Just my advice on what I would do.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Thanks Hamster & Ferret for the replies, I will probably make a straight handled one first & see how I get on with using it, then try a right angled one. What you say about the control & power makes sense, so does the temper & bevel angle. I was thinking of using 6mm stock.
Thanks
Eifion
P.S. Thanks Ferret for your kind remarks about the website.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE