making a crusader cup lid! like mine1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thanx for the info guys,
It's not a huge thing at the moment, I'll wait until after the summer moot before taking power tools to task, just so I can see what other ideas folk have.

Rappleby,
If I use the holes with wire supports, I'll drill them high enough so theres no expansion/heat related problems.

Zodiac,
Your link just takes me to BCB's front page - but my mug does not have the butterfly style handles.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Crusader mug with Crusader cooking unit
406_0699_1.jpg

Crusader mug with hex stove and Crusader mug adaptor
(I don't like hex so i run mine on green heat)
401_0188_1.jpg

Crusader on the right and im not sure but i think the one on the left is the American one.
Bit smaller and handles are on the other side.

448_4882_1.jpg

448_4880_1.jpg

rb

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
it looks american-ish the lip is a bit different.
but could it be a 44" pattern copy?
the way to tell is the metal, if stainless more likely US if aluminium 44".

infact i just noticed a "KL" on the handle plate this may suggest it's Dutch.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
As far as I know, the Dutch ones are copies of the CF ones. And I'm pretty sure that the Dutch army uses Diemeco C7 rifles which are our version of the M16a2. Anyway, enough of that.

The Canadian (or Dutch) canteen cups are the ones pictured there, Rapidboy. I'm guessing mine holds about 750ml of water, give or take a few. I spent Sunday night on the beach of an island with a buddy of mine underneath a poncho. We cooked on 1/4 tabs of hexi supplemented with bone dry ceder twigs and it worked marvelously. I got eaten alive by mosquitoes but it was way too much fun to describe. But now that it was mentioned, perhaps I will paint my Natick stove black it would probably help a lot.

Now, who wants to send me some more hexi blocks? :p

Cheers,

Adam

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Ogri the trog said:
Zodiac,
Your link just takes me to BCB's front page - but my mug does not have the butterfly style handles.
Ogri the trog

Sorry I was being a prat, it should have pointed to the back crusader cooker show in the top photo. One of my Explorer Scouts bought one a few weeks back and the wire hadle/support was missing so I was wondering if you had a similar problem.

Z

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
it looks american-ish the lip is a bit different.
but could it be a 44" pattern copy?
the way to tell is the metal, if stainless more likely US if aluminium 44".

infact i just noticed a "KL" on the handle plate this may suggest it's Dutch.

It's says PL and it's stainless.
I bought it for my mate last week and it was sold as a Crusader, good mug but it doesn't fit the ring on the hex stove .

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
rapidboy said:
It's says PL and it's stainless.
I bought it for my mate last week and it was sold as a Crusader, good mug but it doesn't fit the ring on the hex stove .

Ahh but is the convertor geniune Crusader? ;)

What are those holes for down at the bottom, two each side?

Perhaps there is supposed to be something in there to support the cup? Or is that what you were already thinking :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
it's quite simple really, the holes are a method of folding the cooker into a desired shape, a small bump fit's the hole (which is whay you can only see 2 clearly).

the cooker is in vertical or standard position, like so: [_]

you can fold it half way or 45 degrees like so: /_\ for using a mug or smaller pot(before the crusader adapter came along).

and of course you can fold it flat for storage normally you store the spare hexi inside the folded cooker(neat idea eh?).

on a few occasions i have seen the cooker used upside down which seems silly but before the crusader cup adapter came along, mugs or cups woulden't fit well on the stove even if set at 45 degrees, upside down gives a more stable seat for mugs..

i'm not actually sure hope efficient the upside down way is but you end up almost resting your mug on the burning fuel.

the hexi cooker good as it is was designed as a throw away stove, whilst in the army we were issued one every time the rations were given out at the beginning of an excersise! then they'd re fuel us with hexi blocks!

quite often when in a safe(non tactical area) we'd line up 2 or 3 hexi cookers in a row and get 3 mess tins boiling extra fast!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
rapidboy said:
Crusader on the right and im not sure but i think the one on the left is the American one.
Bit smaller and handles are on the other side.rb

Left hand drive mugs, whatever next, darn Americans cant leave anything alone :)

akraven

Dec 18, 2004
Alaska
Rappleby2000 Well I have tried twice to make this lid and sad to say have run into problems. Did you round over the edges of your wooden form? I did and when I am bending it over I get all sorts of "wrinkles" in the metal around the edges. No matter what I try there is just to much metal and it wants to bunch up. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong compared to you? Thank you. Akraven

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Akraven,
Sorry to but in, but I have some small experience of forming alluminium.
I'd be tempted to say that you either have;-
1. Too much overhang (skirt or whatever you might want to call it), or,
2. You're trying to bend the edges too quickly (as in not enough small steps to get the result). or,
3. The metal is too thick, meaning that there's more material fit into the smaller space!
Try any one of the above as a third attempt but it might mean a few more practice runs till it comes good. If you do start to get a wrinkle, gently tap it flat before doing too much more - you should be able to persuede the metal to flatten out eventually.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
oh sorry to hear that!

the aluminium mess tin i used was not a shiney type, a dull aluminium dunno wether that helps.

i did take some time rounding the corners not a simple 1 whack more like a couple of hundred.gentle ones!

the wooden template may have helped i certainly easier to start, allot of the strokes were directional, ie pushing the metal away as if you were rolling dough.

you could try warming the metal a bit (it was a warm shed!).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE