Making a big floppy hat/Balmoral Part 1

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having got a bit sick of bright yellow wool and the sewing of the blanket shirt I thought I would do a small project to have a rest from it.

Inspired by another thread I though I would make myself a Balmoral or something like it. Years ago I had scrounged from Swanndri some of their woolen cloth in case I ever needed to patch my bushshirt. Anyroad they sent me rather a lot and its sat in a drawer waiting to be used.

Since I have a rather large head I scaled up some instructions I found on the net and cut 2 13 inch circles of the green stuff rather than the 11 suggested and 2 12.5 inch circles of the grey lining wool and a 2 inch band of both long enough to go around my head + 2 inches.

Balmoral01.jpg

I then measured the head hole of a hat that fits me correct and using a chalk pencil and a compass drew a circle in one each of the outside and liner pieces. I then cut out a circular section about a inch in from the line towards the centre of both marked pieces, then cut tabs about a inch wide up to the chalk lines.

At this point I remembered to iron the pieces!

I have pinned the sections together as below

Balmoral02.jpg

and so far have sewn the top and bottom of the outer part together about a third of a inch in from the edge and then went round again and did a line of whip stitches to make it a bit stronger and discourage the edge from fraying.

Tommorow I will do the same with the lining and make up the head band, I'm not quite sure how wide to make that or how best to fit a draw cord.

Yeah I know its a bit "Roberts Rangers" but what the hell!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is the classic Blue Bonnet :D

The easiest way to do the band is to make the ends meet at the back, leave a gap in the seam that joins them and thread a ribbon through, you could use elastic, just in the past they used a black ribbon and tied it in a knot leaving the ends to hang down behind.
You might find 2" a bit much of an extra length. If the wool is well felted it won't need to be overstitched at the ends or the opening.

I confess I don't think I've ever seen a double layered wool one. I have seen a linen lined wool one though.
Be interesting to see how you get on and finish the bunnet :D

atb,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Toddy
If the lining is a bit thick I can always cut it out and use it for a second hat!, it's fairly thin stuff anyway and the pattern I am vaguely using called for a silk lining (It was on a American pipers site...).

If I make a total pigs ear of it I have, (less some for patching), about enough of the green Swanni wool to have one made up by a expert.

I'm a habitual flat cap user but always fancied something bigger I could pull down over my ears when it turns nasty.

I'll have to put in a chit to the wife to make me some black ribbon on the Inkle loom I knocked up from scrap timber for her to have a play on!

Cheers for the tips!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi all
I finished the hat today and despite my dodgy stitching its come out pretty much as I wanted it.

The shape will improve with use/ being rained on a few times and I'll find something a bit wider to replace the bootlace that is currently serving as a draw cord.

It went together quite easily, If I'd been using a machine it would have taken no time at all.

Balmoral05.jpg

Balmoral06.jpg

Balmoral07.jpg

I couldn't keep a straight face while modelling it hence the close crops

The lining went in easy enough, I tacked it to the corresponding edge of the outer and then made up the headband, leaving the top open to insert the edges of the top section, I used copious amounts of pins to hold it together while stitching it , trying it on (gingerly!) repeatedly.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it even if everyone has hysterics when I put it on.

Cheers!

Tom

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very Tidy :approve: nice fit and a great colour :cool: Well done :D

If you soak it in some hand hot water that has had loads of fabric conditioner added, let it drain and air dry, it will make it even more shower proof than the wool on it's own manages. Kind of like re-lanolinising it. :)

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!:)

Any particular brand of fabric conditioner? I've a natural talent for getting the one brand that doesn't work.

I think I'll have a rest from sewing until the weekend, it's got addictive And i've been missing meals and sleep to play.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, they all work. Hair conditioner does quite well too. For fabric just use the cheap generic supermarket stuff. It's more expensive than the ordinary fabric stuff though.

You can get a lanolinising stuff. It's really intended for babies woollen nappy covers. The kind that Mum's who don't use plastic pants or disposable nappies on their babies, use. It's basically just a wash in woollen waterproofing lotion. The fabric conditioner is by far the cheaper option.
It still lets the wool breathe though.

cheers,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

The lanolising stuff sounds interesting. When I was reasearching the mutton tallow I came across stuff waxing lyrical about lanolin and have been looking for some Dax 100% lanolin hair preperation to experiment with.

Amongst the stuff I got herself for her birthday is 3 lb of unwashed fleece and I've been wondering how best to wash it while leaving as much lanolin as possible before she cards and spins it.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A big bucket of cold water and leave the fleece soaking in it for a day or so.
Fleece contains a flaky stuff called suint. This is the fleece's natural cleansing stuff.
That first water that comes off is usually absolutely filthy and it's a brilliant fertiliser for the garden.

Then soak the fleece again but add a couple of capfuls of shampoo. Rinse thoroughly and let it air dry. Card/ comb and spin. This is still considered *in the grease* since all that's been done is to remove the gunk, dirt and excess lanolin.
Don't use hot water, don't agitate the fleece very much 'cos that way makes felt :)

cheers,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The Balmoral bonnet looked a little undressed and since a pom would mean my complete and utter destruction by Herself I decided it needed a badge.

Not having a clan or other organisation I could legitimately use the insignia of I went for this, which I thinks looks rather well ;-{D)

Balmoral%20badged.jpg

ATB

Tom

Having worn it out a few times (it certainly turns heads, watching people try not to double take is great! :-D ) it's a remarkable warm piece of kit and with the draw cord loosened off covers the ears nicely.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

no one recognise the badge yet?

It helps that they are used to me wearing strange head gear around here and my skin has grown thick! I've one of those mouse head hats (they had sold out of the bear ones ) Trek-Mates used to make I wear when I really want to embarrass the kids!

It's a hobby.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
OK, Its the I.S.F. cap badge, does anyone know what that is?!

Major cultural icon here!

I must be showing my age, or aty least my fathers!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE