Makes you think

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Makes you think how lucky we are

On the news tonight, a relief agency worker said that a metric ton of rice has gone up in price from $400 to $1100 since January:( :( :(

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
just saw the same article on the news! the kids were eating cakes made from EARTH and butter in Haiti. awfull!! it broke my heart to be honest!
puts things into perspective!

Dan

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
There are a lot of people on the planet, no question about that, but the price of rice and people eating "earth" cakes is not the problem caused by this "world population number", there are less starving people than over fed people, so the problem is distribution of the available resourses, It won't be long before people in this country are going to bed hungry, not because there are too many of us, but because we are just to "modern" we are over fed and generally fat and lazy.

LS

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Perhaps the saddest thing of all is that the poorest farmers are said to have generally agreed sales in advance, so won't get the new high prices. The urban poor can't afford to buy food, but the rural poor are not doing any better.

We could all do so much, but curiously feel powerless and do very little. At least it's true of me.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Perhaps the saddest thing of all is that the poorest farmers are said to have generally agreed sales in advance, so won't get the new high prices. The urban poor can't afford to buy food, but the rural poor are not doing any better.

We could all do so much, but curiously feel powerless and do very little. At least it's true of me.

We dont feel powerful because we are not mad enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08&feature=related

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
There are a lot of people on the planet, no question about that, but the price of rice and people eating "earth" cakes is not the problem caused by this "world population number", there are less starving people than over fed people, so the problem is distribution of the available resourses, It won't be long before people in this country are going to bed hungry, not because there are too many of us, but because we are just to "modern" we are over fed and generally fat and lazy.

LS

couldn't agree more. A lot of people in this country would benefit from a good, healthy dose of reality (and a good number of the worlds population would benefit from quite a bit less reality).

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
just saw the same article on the news! the kids were eating cakes made from EARTH and butter in Haiti. awfull!! it broke my heart to be honest!
puts things into perspective!

Dan

And to think this the 21st century makes you wonder how far civilization has actually progressed mentally to allow people to starve to death when other countries stock pile grain to keep prices artificially high....to line the pockets of the few

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Here's a bit of the universal declaration of human rights. I've just been thinking that food and water are considered rights because we can all get them for ourselves, it's just that some people are prevented from doing so.

Article 25.
(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Here's a bit of the universal declaration of human rights. I've just been thinking that food and water are considered rights because we can all get them for ourselves, it's just that some people are prevented from doing so.

Article 25.
(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

I read the following on another forum, it made me think...
'human rights', they're also a fantasy, usually awarded by people to themselves totally arbitrarily because it suits them. At the end of the day though, 'rights' are usually achieved by fighting for them, and the stronger side gets to have their rights, and the losers? Suddenly their rights don't matter a damn.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

Article 25.

While it's certainly a laudable attempt to bring countries into line with western democratic policies on the treatment of their citizens, importantly, it is a non-binding agreement. It will always remain non-binding because it's based on flawed logic.

For example, article 25 claims that food, clothing, housing and medical care are basic human rights. Sounds nice doesn't it? But sadly, no cigar. Those things are only possible under advanced socio-economic circumstances ...and if it's only possible under "certain circumstances" it isn't a basic human right, because it cant be afforded all the time to everyone.

To explain. For food, clothing, housing and medical care to be basic rights, then someone must grow the food and be prepared to give you some, someone must make the clothes and be prepared to give them to you, someone must build the house and be prepared to let you live in it and someone must be prepared to bandage your broken bones. In a state of extreme economic depravity, nobody is going to be giving anything to anyone else, it's only a socially advanced and economically stable and wealthy nation that can offer this.

Similarly, the validity of any right is dependent on not conflicting with any other right. I have the right not to be forced to do something I don't want to do. If everyone exercised that right and refused to give food, clothes, housing and medical care - those things could not be provided - at least not without forcing others to do them - which sets up a human rights conflict. You cant have a right which requires the generosity of others.

This is in contrast to genuine human rights, such as the right to freedom of speech, freedom of movement, freedom of oppression etc - which dont conflict with anyone else's rights and which we all should have automatically afforded to us from birth to death. There is no "certain circumstances" which must be achieved first and no generosity required.

Like I said, flawed logic - article 25 of the UDHR is akin to an Antelope claiming it has the right not to be eaten by a Lion.

The Universal Declaration of Human Right is not an irreducible list of global, basic human rights, it's just a set of nice sounding ambitions that wealthy, democratic western states can sign up to if they want. Do you have the basic right to food, clothing, housing and medical care? Unfortunately, no you dont. You do have the right to starve, to be naked, to have no shelter and to bleed. Those things are not dependent on the generosity of others or economic circumstances.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Any system of government powerful enough and intrusive enough to guarantee everyone all of their basic needs is, by default, powerful enough to take away everything that you have, including your life.

People have to understand that part of the human experience is also the ability to achieve, and if necessary, the ability to fail.

This holds true for cultures and societies as well as individuals. Not all societies and cultures are created equal, and just like some species that die off, so do some societies collapse when they can no longer maintain themselves with the basic necessities, usually due to their own flaws.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE