Makes a change. Grayson Perry vs Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
bear grylls is "about as useful as a chocolate teapot" = :lmao:
I'll never forget the episode where he cleverly retrieved dry grass from an animal burrow to start an "essential" fire, then kept it out in the RAIN...
And where he cleverly built a ladder from found materials to cross a torrent - and cleverly, well, cack-handedly, threw it across in such a way as to smash it...
Bet the film crew were in stitches :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think the Turner prize is a crock, ajudged by Pseuds and a waste of cash.
I think GP is more honest and more worthy of a hearing than GB.
Neither has much to do with Bushcraft....

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Grayson 'dressed in a pink dress riding a pink Harley around Germany is installation art' Perry, claims BG is useless?

Well... he's the feckin' expert on useless so I guess it must be true.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
article-2332855-1A128A0F000005DC-383_634x390.jpg

Look at all the useful on that baby!

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Raises a couple of points worth considering.

*BG couldn't negotiate Finsbury Park....
*Forcing men to adopt a fake Machismo..

Saddens me that anyone would think that the artificial environment that is 10 million people living in the construct of a city, fed and supplied by everybody else outside the city is considered the "real world". An environment propped up on an artificial concept of success and driven by a desire to acquire material possessions. Somewhere where nobody makes or grows anything at all.
We have allowed the creation of this Metrosexual culture where men have to tone down their own true personality for the sake of political correctness. Dodgy ground complimenting a woman on her appearance, not being completely value free about whatever unusual way someone else lives their life.
It took 200,000 years of evolution, hunting, gathering, bonding and breeding to get to where we are today. How the hell does the media think they are going to make us all deny that breeding in a couple generations and all be cooky cuttered out to live in an artificial, post industrial society that's not even existed 200 years?

Have you seen how many people are propped up on antidepressants? How many of you feel tired? How many would like to spend more time with family? How many of you feel awkward expressing how you truly feel? How many find spending time outdoors spiritual? Why are programs about wildlife, country life, buying homes in the country, leaving the rat race, survival, apocalyptic breakdown of society and zombies so successful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Raises a couple of points worth considering.

*BG couldn't negotiate Finsbury Park....
*Forcing men to adopt a fake Machismo..

Saddens me that anyone would think that the artificial environment that is 10 million people living in the construct of a city, fed and supplied by everybody else outside the city is considered the "real world". An environment propped up on an artificial concept of success and driven by a desire to acquire material possessions. Somewhere where nobody makes or grows anything at all.
We have allowed the creation of this Metrosexual culture where men have to tone down their own true personality for the sake of political correctness. Dodgy ground complimenting a woman on her appearance, not being completely value free about whatever unusual way someone else lives their life.
It took 200,000 years of evolution, hunting, gathering, bonding and breeding to get to where we are today. How the hell does the media think they are going to make us all deny that breeding in a couple generations and all be cooky cuttered out to live in an artificial, post industrial society that's not even existed 200 years?

Have you seen how many people are propped up on antidepressants? How many of you feel tired? How many would like to spend more time with family? How many of you feel awkward expressing how you truly feel? How many find spending time outdoors spiritual? Why are programs about wildlife, country life, buying homes in the country, leaving the rat race, survival, apocalyptic breakdown of society and zombies so successful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some very valid and astute observations there Mr. Countryman. 
‎
To borrow from a certain artist who wrote on their instrument "this guitar kills fascists" I have a somewhat less cutting approach to registering my disdain for Metrosexuality that is wearing a plaid shirt whenever hanging out in Soho.   Trouble with that in recent times is the backwoods/lumberjack look is all the rage so my message has been somewhat diluted!   

I particularly like your truth that is the massive increase in a craving for the outdoors and allied spiritual fulfilment. The latter clearly not satisfied by either Church of this Isle as the attendance figures strongly suggest. ‎

As more and more people look at what their lives have become and how we have so readily submitted to a new opiate for the masses that is the very mechanism that permits this ramble, I'm ‎certain the craving for a "soul life" as so wonderfully ventured by Richard Jefferies in his seminal work The Story Of My Heart (http://richardjefferiessociety.co.uk/Story of My Heart.pdf) will be given of an even greater imperative. ‎
‎
K‎

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Metrosexuals are on the wane, we are now witnessing the rise of the lumbersexual. Countryman is quite right though. in what he says about the artificial constructs that are cities. A breeding ground for people who have no idea where their food really comes from.
And as Mr Fenna said, neither GP or BG represent bushcraft, or reality. IMHO.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Metrosexuals are on the wane, we are now witnessing the rise of the lumbersexual. Countryman is quite right though. in what he says about the artificial constructs that are cities. A breeding ground for people who have no idea where their food really comes from.
And as Mr Fenna said, neither GP or BG represent bushcraft, or reality. IMHO.

As I get older I'm afeared I'll be witnessing the rise (perhaps) of the lumbagosexual !!!

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
what exactly is a "look"?
I wear comfortable, hard-wearing, weather-suited, clothes & boots/shoes - o and a dark suit for weddings/funerals = have I answered my own question???

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A multi-circumnavigator of the world, veteran of solo voyages to far flung places, survivor of hurricanes, near shipwrecks, etc, on being eulogised in an interview, cut the interviewer short and said:
"All that was easy. Now, having a happy marriage, raising a family and while holding down a job, that's hard, I've never managed that."

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Grayson Perry is less of a drama queen than Bear.

I think they are both a pair of prize pillocks myself, however I am sure I would be laughing my proverbial A*** off if they were paired up on an urban survival reality show. It would be even more fun if they put Bear in a dress and Grayson in a zombie slayer camouflage outfit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE