Make fire with a camera and your butties!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Whilst in Anglesey (Island off the North Wales coast for our friends across the pond), We were at an old brickworks having a picnic. These brickworks are only accessible by the sea or a short hike and someone mentioned we should make a fire as it was a bit breezy. Equipped as I was with shorts, T shirt and sunglasses there was no suitable wood for a firebow or plough (all gorsey brush). Nobody smoked and no one had a lighter or matches. So I got my kindling and fuel together andmade tinder by buffing a bit of kitchen roll. I stole one mates camera and some tinfoil that the butties were in.

Using my knife (i'm never without a knife) I cut a 1mm sliver of tinfoil about 4" long and coiled it around my tinder, touched the ends to the +and- of the battery and it lit the tinder like an electric fire....Lovely warm fire 3 mins or so later :) Bargain :cool:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
that gorse bush has a lot of dead leaves and branches around the base, this stuff takes a spark very easily and makes top tinder. but well done on the practical demonstration of 'THE CRAFT' :lol:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well that was a surprise! I thought you were gonna use the lens as a magnifying glass, or some cling film filled with water to do the same.
Cool :super:
Rich

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
And as more of us start carrying LED torches like the X5 that take lithium (higher voltage & capacity) batteries, we're more likely to get it to work :biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Careful shorting out lithiums .. I hear that they can explode!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Actually it would be mor eof a bang than a burn. Lithium batteries give off the explosive gas hydrogen ... hydrogen and sparks are bad news!
Stew said:
:bu: <=will it make me do this?! :-?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE