Magpie - Edible ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Pigeons are good eating, rooks, as in young rooks, were considered good eating, but note the 'young' bit there. I see what the magpies round here eat, and honestly, I wouldn't feed my husband city pigeons and I wouldn't feed him magpies either. Woodpigeons are another thing entirely.

Pigeon breast burgers are delicious he says :)

My Dad shot a moorhen ....way back when @Big Si 's Dad was young too by the sounds of it. His Mum refused to cook it, (she had six brothers, who all hunted/fished) she said it wasn't fit eating. So Dad cooked it. He ate and never ever shot one again. He said it tasted of mud.

So, like Crocodile Dundee said, "you can live on it........" but do you really want to ?

Demented dale said:....My hawk used to catch moorhen and I loved it. it is the richest meat I have ever come across. Way too rich to feed a hawk at flying weight as it would get fat and do nowt . i knew another falconer who ate absolutely everything his birds caught. He said everything was palatable except seagull which he said was disgusting x

SkipperT

Aug 14, 2024
United Kingdom
They're another corvid - we used to eat rook pie :)

However, they are carrion eaters and could well have been feeding on diseased meat such as birds with avian flu or even poisoned 'pests'. I think I'd leave well alone :)
I think as long as long as you eat two you should be OK.

As a Geordie however, I feel like I should perhaps regard people eating a Magpie as almost blasphemous

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE