Magnolia Spoon

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been messing around with a bit of Magnolia wood i acquired from the wood yard up the lane today, it's the first time ive used Magnolia and it carves beautifully, in fact it carves so well, i went back to the yard this afternoon and filled my Bergen with a load more, well, seems a shame to waste it.:rolleyes:

DSCN8557.jpg

DSCN8562.jpg

DSCN8565.jpg

I did all of the roughing out work and general shaping with the axe and then tidied it up a bit with a Mora 510, The spoon is just rough carved at the moment and has been left fairly thick as im not aufait with the properties of the wood and have no experience of working it, i figured it's better to err on the side of caution and take it thinner once it's dried out.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice grain pattern, looking forward to carving a little bit of magnolia when I get hold of it. :) Thanks mate.
Nice shape on the spoon.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the house next to mine is called "magnolia cottage", i wonder what those ornamental trees are in their garden?.......

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys, the wood is lovely to carve Simon, has a gorgeous, almost citrus, smell to it as well

@shaggystu - think they are called the lesser spotted spoon trees:)

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I must admit to seeing a few with perfect crooks, nice bendy branches :)
If I get any in the future I will give some a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE