Made a Leather Sheath for the Froe

Took 1/2 a day to make up ya fast and dirty but it works for what I need it to do...

froe-01.jpg

froe-02.jpg

froe2.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ok - i'll bite.... what is it used for and more importantly how as to me the cutting edge is on the 'outside'?:confused:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ha Ha, it's no good Dave i've worked it out now;)

you really shouldn't be so descriptive if you are trying to keep things secret :lmao:

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yes, a froe does work great for splitting boards, shingles, saplings, firewood, etc. And some also have the very end sharpened as well - so that you can use it like a long-bladed hatchet for "trimming" the stuff you were splitting.

Small versions work well for splitting out strips of wood for basket making. Some basket makers even have a "knife" version for that smaller/thinner splitting work. Same blade shape, but with a regular knife handle instead of that eye socket for a handle. You don't get the leverage with the knife version, but you are generally working much smaller wood.

And, yes, a lot of them just get tossed into the tool box. Rough on the cutting edge. A sheath helps that, and yourself when you are rummaging around in that toolbox for other things.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE