Made a crooked knife

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I was at a loose end today so thought I would try out an idea. I have always thrown away blunt hardpoint wood saws but thought maybe a blade could be made out of the steel? Not being sure what sort of steel it was I cut out a thin section of the 1mm thick metal using a dremel.

I put an edge on it while flat then bent the tip over in the vice and gave it a heat treat and quench with the Mapp gas torch and then a temper using same torch getting the steel to a straw colour.

Dressed in some Black Walnut with a couple of brass pins it seems to be holding a nice sharp edge. It is quite flexible but springy with it so it so far holds it's shape. I have not yet given it a good run for its money but it shaved a bit of pine pretty well!

This could be the start of a run of whittling tools as I have loads of saw blade left! Hope this gives others some ideas to recycle old saw blades plus it only took me about an hour and a half start to finish!!

b80826e6fbc34af83b5effbf9102e651_zps388d1bed.jpg

80fc37d3b11111e1327fee4a60353965_zpsaf586f67.jpg

c41bd83f48bc7f5f953f142236dbb839_zpsee1770d6.jpg

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yes just a single flat bevel. I did do most of the bevel with a small hobby linisher but finished on the DMT stones. Got it hair popping sharp with no effort!!

Those DMT diamond stones are ok, I had a 600 red grit one before I got this set and that one did seem to wear fast. These ones seem better although I use them more as touch up stones rather than aggressive bevel forming.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE