Macro/Close ups of Insects **Pic Heavy**

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
here r some of my pics hope u like em.. this one is from my mobile...
14648149.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the rest r from my fuji finepix camera...
dscf1372p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
13809009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
tudelywoods016.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
no its a nokia 5800.. only 3.2 megapixels but its set on macro... that one is a wasp spider i found it while i was out wroking.. only one i've ever seen they're pretty rare in uk...

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I've had the camera a couple of years and only just worked out how to use the macro setting ( the instruction book omited to say Tulip for macro only works in the Auto setting with no zoom on, other wise it functions as the manual focus button :banghead:) anyway :-
Cuckoo Spit
Cuckoospit.jpg

and the Froghopper on the back of my hand
Froghopper.jpg

cheers all Danny

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've had the camera a couple of years and only just worked out how to use the macro setting ( the instruction book omited to say Tulip for macro only works in the Auto setting with no zoom on, other wise it functions as the manual focus button :banghead:) anyway :-
Cuckoo Spit
Cuckoospit.jpg

and the Froghopper on the back of my hand
Froghopper.jpg

cheers all Danny

Wonderful shots, especially the first one!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
How is Cuckoo-Spit Produced by the Froghopper?

The nymph feeds head downwards with its syringe-like mouthparts embedded in the tissue of the plant. The froth is created by the insect excreting a fluid, the result of excess undigested plant sap, exuding through the anus. This sap, as it is excreted, mixes with a secretion from the abdominal glands. Air bubbles are introduced through a special valve on the abdomen which acts like a bellows, and contact with the air causes the liquid to ferment, forming the froth (or spittle).

cheers Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I had a wander up the local beck today and while waiting for a home made boil in the bag chilli to heat up for dinner, had some fun fly stalking Canon powershot A720 on Macro
Fly1.jpg

Fly2.jpg

Fly3.jpg

just thought I'd share, cheers all Danny

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
This was taken on my FZ38 using a DCR-150 Macro converter and has been tweaked in photoshop.

mayfly-1.jpg

It landed on the boot of a car and I managed to get a few shots of it (almost all rubbish :rolleyes:). Does anyone know what it is? I'm guessing at some sort of mayfly.

This is the first time I've used macro so any criticism welcome.

Some cracking shots in this thread by the way, especially the grasshopper - it needs a caption!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Went back to the local beck today for another session of "Fly stalking"
The first Fly landed on my Zebra billy handle as I was making a brew it looks like it's had a pollen encounter ?
ZebraBillyFly.jpg

after the brew and dinner
FridayFly1.jpg

FridayFly1a.jpg

FridayFly1b.jpg

There was quite a few of these about ---- Snipe Fly ?
FridayFly2.jpg

FridayFly3.jpg

FridayFly5.jpg

FridayFly4.jpg

taken with Canon powershot A720 set at Macro and 3264 x 2448 pixels giving about a 3.2MB .jpg file which I view full screen in "IrfanView" press the print screen key with subject in middle then paste into Windows paint where I draw round it with the select tool then cut and paste and save as, then view and resize to 800 x 600 pixel, about 424KB using IrfanView. Then post to Photobucket to show on here.
There's probably an easier way but I don't have Photoshop and I'm happy with them -- just though I'd share - cheers all Danny (Flys-R-Us)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE