Mackerel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Has anyone been mackerel fishing around the UK at all this year yet and caught much? It's been very warm and sunny during the day I'd have thought there would be loads about in the SW, but the nights have been fairly chilly.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
From my experience fishing around UK and Scandinavia the weather does not matter much for the fish, but the temperature of the sea.

They should be around Britain since a couple of weeks.

Lovely fish, I hope you catch lots and lots! Happy fishing and eating!

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
When I asked in the harbour a couple of weeks ago they weren’t really present (in numbers) but I did notice the charter boats are picking up a pace so we could be right on time for them .......

Reactions: Janne

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
They'll be in any day now, I think. As mentioned above, the boats are catching them in moderate numbers so it won't be long before they're being caught from the shore.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Interesting........

Wonder if the Gulf Stream is weaking and you are getting more cold water over you?

Here, the Gulf Stream is getting a tad warmer earlier each year.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
We are now in our house in the Lofoten Islands. Last night we got the boat and drove it home. Fished a bit, wife wanted fried mackerel.
Got none, but some nice sized Coal fish.
Locals say though the Mackerel are plentyful this year.
Will go out later today.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Bumpity bump...

Anyone been out mackerelling recently? Just wondering if it's worth taking the spinning rod down to the beach soon.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
We found a good shoal on the kayak last night, managed 20 decent all of a good chunky size, we released half a dozen small ones and dropped a dozen on the way in. Also managed 3 codling, one was borderline in size but they all went back. A few will get frozen down for future bait, but the majority will be thrown on the bbq! Yum!

Reactions: santaman2000

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
We found a good shoal on the kayak last night, managed 20 decent all of a good chunky size, we released half a dozen small ones and dropped a dozen on the way in. Also managed 3 codling, one was borderline in size but they all went back. A few will get frozen down for future bait, but the majority will be thrown on the bbq! Yum!
Lovely!

And now I really fancy some freshly smoked mackerel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE