Machete specific sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minimears

Oct 16, 2008
East Anglia
Hi , im new to the forum and have recently bought a martindale No2 golok type machete for various fieldcraft tasks.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the correct way to sharpen it to the best possible edge.
Ive read the stickys about knife sharpening but im a bit confused as with knives you sharpen INTO the blade as if your shaving a fine layer from the stone , but I have seen youtube videos of people sharpening machetes on a grinding wheel which would be sharpening AWAY from the blade.
The machete came with a sharpening file and I have a 2 grade combi stone , medium and fine.
Thanks in advance.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
With a file or very coarse stone, sharpen away from the blade. When you work down to medium then fine stones work towards the blade, and when stropping work away from the blade again...

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
No worries mate.. Welcome to the forum too, There's tons of good stuff to learn and lots of knowledgeable folks, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE