Machete and Kurki recommandations ?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Shall we stop all this talk of using blades as weapons now folks?

C.
Pretty please with pink and purple spots on it.

Any fule knows that a decent-sized mackerel is a far superior weapon. The perfect balance and shape puts the balance point right on the natural point of percussion, and the swell of the tail neatly fits your hand, making fast blows and parries instinctive.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
You're right to say that a saw is important. We can light fire if it's not in a natural park i think. And i'm not in.

I'm disapointed that the only Machete with a (real) saw integrated is NOT "full tang". What do you think about it ? :
SHTH.jpg

There's a recall notice on those. Something to do with the user's hand sliding along the machete blade when the saw sticks.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Th OP doesnt say what he wants it for.......

Really?

In his first post: "What do you recomand to me for Summer Camping in forest/survival zombie apocalypse (lol)" he seems to be joking.

In this subsequent post (post #5) he seems more serious: "I already have an Axe (Fiskars x7). But it's not a solution if you want to defend from an agression. Because it's hard to manipulate quickly."

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
You're right to say that a saw is important. We can light fire if it's not in a natural park i think. And i'm not in.

I'm disapointed that the only Machete with a (real) saw integrated is NOT "full tang". What do you think about it ? :
SHTH.jpg

Big thickness is better, yep ? Not too lood for your arm ? Is it a good Kukri, the "Condor heavy duty" ? Can you use it as a hammer ?

You are using Stainless for the Skrama, no? Is it good also than Carbon Steel for cutting...? I realy hesitate.
avoid like the plague, These things are an absolute heap of cheap nasty crap and dangerous too, not full tang. Not even a rat tail. I've seen a few example of the handles snapping clean though. My mate was very very lucky not to get injured when his handle snapped and the blade bounced back just missing his head and neck. It could have easily of ended very badly.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would imagine (because I have never used one as such) that a Kukri comes into it's own when used as a bill hook is, it is just a species of bill hook really with a lot of tradition and baloney tied up with the image. The only Kukri I possess is a tourist wallhanger, I could not possibly imagine useful for any real work.

I have recently had to replace my machete again (having lost it with a set of tools I stupidly left in the car overnight). It is hard to find shops that stock them, however I managed to find a half decent replacement, sharpened on the inside of the curve. Suits my purposes as what is in essence a bill hook with a bit more reach for keeping my hands from getting entangled in undergrowth when I am clearing it. After a bit (understatement) of work with a file, it does what it is supposed to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE