Macadamia nut oil for spoons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I've been trying to get hold of some nut or tung oil for oiling spoons and bowls and I managed to get some Macadamia nut oil. Does anyone know if this is suitable or not? The bottle doesnt say anything about wood but about cooking so I presume its not toxic, but I'm not sure if it would go rancid.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Macadamia nuts are edible and delicious so the oil should be safe to use on your spoon. I have never used it for spoons, prefering to use the oil from a hazlenut or a walnut directly rubbed onto a spoon.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
KIMBOKO said:
Macadamia nuts are edible and delicious so the oil should be safe to use on your spoon.
I agree, Macadamia nuts are fanatstic. I would have thought the oil would be ok for spoons.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Macademia nut oil goes rancid faster than walnut or hazelnut oil, in my experience.

It might be OK, but personally, I wouldn't trust it on something I was going to use for eating.

Not that it is necessarily going to make you ill, but rather that all your food will taste of rancid butter.

Keith.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
KIMBOKO said:
Macadamia nuts are edible and delicious so the oil should be safe to use on your spoon. I have never used it for spoons, prefering to use the oil from a hazlenut or a walnut directly rubbed onto a spoon.
I didn't know you could rub a nut on something to get the oil. Are the results the same as using bottled oil?I've been using boiled linseed oil for all my spoons and on trying them out I found that it makes food taste like grease from a deep fat fryer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE