M40 Khukri Knife Modification Request

New member requesting Khukri modification assistance.

Please note I have no formal experience and will not wish to pursue projects in the future. This one is purely serendipidous and I'm not entirely sure how to do this.

So my girlfriend is into the Resident Evil film series, and before the 4th addition was released I bought her a Khukri Knife, this was engraved with sempas fidelas IX.

The knife, as I presume many of you may know, has its good points and bad points, the main down fall being how uncomfortable it is to use.

I came across this link:
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Ghurka/Khukri Modification.htm

And began to explore processes involved to complete the mod.

After on again off again research and experience with projects it turns out im not that handy. So essentially im wondering if there are any members here able to do such a modification for me. For a payment which we shall agree privately. Paypal preferred but not essential.

Alternatively if anybody knows of any bladesmiths in the north-west of england or near by, that may assist with the bluening and sharpening of the blade.

Cheers all.

- Butterknife

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
To clarify you want the ridge in the middle of the handle to be removed and smoothed over? Do you want the blade blued too?

Sadly I'm in the middle of my exams just now but I am sure another member will be along shortly to help you out.

All the best
Andy

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
blueing is simple mate, buy some blueing solution for gun barrels and just paint it ona few times untill its the right depth of colour.

blueing is simple mate, buy some blueing solution for gun barrels and just paint it ona few times untill its the right depth of colour.

Yeah but the solutions ive found are huge amounts.. I only want one knifes worth, and rather someone with experience did the task as I WILL find a way to muck it up :p

Is this to be a user or purely decorative?

Are you people ACTUALLY reading the link I post? Its a modifaction for a khukri with the intention to be used.. hence the modifications in the first place.

Please stop posting replies that arn't helpful. If you can do the job or know a guy that can.. OR know of services in the Northwest, please reply.. otherwise ..... plz

Last edited by a moderator:

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
A reasonable question I thought, considering it was bought (from what you say on your post) for your girlfriend who is into RE. TBH choosing your knife type on the basis of a zombie flick isn't the best criteria, hence wondering if it would actually be used or just displayed.

Oh, and please note, a civil tongue costs nothing.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are you people ACTUALLY reading the link I post? Its a modifaction for a khukri with the intention to be used.. hence the modifications in the first place.

Please stop posting replies that arn't helpful. If you can do the job or know a guy that can.. OR know of services in the Northwest, please reply.. otherwise stfu plz

No problem DS

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A reasonable question I thought, considering it was bought (from what you say on your post) for your girlfriend who is into RE. TBH choosing your knife type on the basis of a zombie flick isn't the best criteria, hence wondering if it would actually be used or just displayed.

Oh, and please note, a civil tongue costs nothing.

Nor have I ever found my khukuri uncomfortable. Also the link he posted seems dubious.

Fair comment, i was trying to get the point across about inspiration for the choice of knife.. irrelevant granted. Its my understanding that it was formally a service blade. Hence the purchase. Personally i dont believen decorative knives or swords, im genuinly not trying to cause offense I just want a little assistance. So again, if you can assist.. please comment, otherwise please dont for sake of leaving your 2 cents.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fair comment, i was trying to get the point across about inspiration for the choice of knife.. irrelevant granted. Its my understanding that it was formally a service blade. Hence the purchase. Personally i dont believen decorative knives or swords, im genuinly not trying to cause offense I just want a little assistance. So again, if you can assist.. please comment, otherwise please dont for sake of leaving your 2 cents.

Cain't help with the other mods (they will require a bladesmith as you suggested) However if you're uncomfortable doing the blueing yourself it can also be done by any competant gunsmith and they should be reasonably easy to locate by asking at your local sporting shops. Possibly some of the other mods (to the handle area) can be done by a machinist shop (also easier to locate)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So, basically you have a khukri and you want someone to turn it into a zombie killer ? a comfortable in the hand zombie killer though, that's a pretty blue colour ?

and when long standing members question your intent you insult them ?

You do realise that this is a bushcraft forum ? and one with a certain tone of courtesy expected ?

Please take this the way it is intended.....go and read the guidelines for the community.
You can find them here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45

Toddy

Cain't help with the other mods (they will require a bladesmith as you suggested) However if you're uncomfortable doing the blueing yourself it can also be done by any competant gunsmith and they should be reasonably easy to locate by asking at your local sporting shops. Possibly some of the other mods (to the handle area) can be done by a machinist shop (also easier to locate)

THANK YOU! your advice is very appreciated and seems to be a good option. I know a decent number of gun shops that might be able to point me in the right direction.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I did quickly check out the site but it's not hard to do what you want mate, the blueing takes minutes and if you look around properly you can find small bottles of bisley gun blue around. As for the cord handle youtube has plenty of videos showing how to do them and the back end blade mod can be done with a file and some elbow grease.

Don't be annoyed by the lack of desired responses though mate, this isn't quite the place to be asking for help with making a movie replica.. try www.britishblades.com you might get more info there..or maybe across the pond on a dooms day survivalist forum.. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE