M first kuksa !

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
found a suitable seasoned bit of ash today whilst taking the dog out , heres a pic of the work n progress:

DSC01788.jpg

I am now scooping out the middle , and boy is that a job!

thanks for looking.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
That looks very nice Fish and the scorp looks interesting too.

Is seasoned wood better for a Kuksa'a then? I was planning to have a go next week when I'm out in a tent for the week with nothing to do in the evenings but carve.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
That looks very nice Fish and the scorp looks interesting too.

Is seasoned wood better for a Kuksa'a then? I was planning to have a go next week when I'm out in a tent for the week with nothing to do in the evenings but carve.

no, generally green or at least part green wood is better, mainly because it is MUCH easier to carve. Though some people may prefer seasoned wood because it would have less tendency to crack and warp, whcih green wood often does in the drying proccess

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Looks nice, and I haven't seen a spoon knife like that before - is it homemade?

i guess its a scorp then! yep its my spoon carving knife , made from an old industrial sized bandsaw blade,works a treat!

thanks fr all the encouragement guys , its nice when you go back to a post and fing so many replies ,keeps yer comming back.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Thanks for that. I googled but didn't see anything obvious. So is scorp a word like spork - a cross between scoop and something else, or am I trying to make meaning where there is none?

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Looks great sofar. Can't wait for the end result.

Might try making one next week when i'm out and about, around the campfire..

The scorp looks interesting.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
i guess its a scorp then! yep its my spoon carving knife , made from an old industrial sized bandsaw blade,works a treat!

thanks fr all the encouragement guys , its nice when you go back to a post and fing so many replies ,keeps yer comming back.

You'll have to do a tutorial now then :red:

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That looks a lovely profile on the outside!
no, generally green or at least part green wood is better, mainly because it is MUCH easier to carve. Though some people may prefer seasoned wood because it would have less tendency to crack and warp, whcih green wood often does in the drying proccess
Green wood only tends to crack if you dry it too fast, leave it too thick or leave an uneven wall thickness. The trick with green wood is to hollow it out as quickly as you can - you can work it over several days as long as you put it in a plastic bag somewhere cool when you're not working it. Aim for a fairly even wall thickness - pay particular attention to the base which is often where they end up too chunky.

Once you're finished dry it slowly. Leave it somewhere cool and dry like your garage maybe for several days, or maybe a week, to start it off then move it indoors, again somewhere relatively cool for another few days then it can go somewhere warmer. I know once you've made something you'll be desperate to show it off and use it but patience will pay off with this one. And green wood is far, far easier than dry wood so you're going to be able to carve it and carve it into a much nicer shape that way :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's a very nice kuksa Fishfish. Yiu must have had a bit of a struggle with that seasoned wood. I made a small cup some while back out of seasoned Oak firewood but cheated and used carving chisels!

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Nice work mate!I like the shape of the handle and big dark knot on the side.I have a big old ash tree in my backyard I sometimes use for wood carving and find it a nice wood to work with.I been making a ash kuska for a while but mine looks like it will end up as garden mulch as were yours looks like its heading to the display cabinet.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a big old ash tree in my backyard I sometimes use for wood carving and find it a nice wood to work with.I been making a ash kuska for a while but mine looks like it will end up as garden mulch as were yours looks like its heading to the display cabinet.
That's interesting - is your oz version of ash the same species as ours over here? I've never got on well with it for spoon carving. It always seems rather 'stringy' when green so it difficult to work across the grain and bits tend to tear out. It goes rock hard when it dries so it's no wonder you have blisters on your blisters fishfish :eek:
Nicola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE