M-1950 stove. (tank stove)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ive recently bought one of these but i wont get a chance to try it out for a whille.Id just like to know if any other members on here have had any experience with them and what they are like?It runs on 'gasoline' but tbh me and 4 star dont get on very well...would they work on meths?:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi just found this, it may be useful, had a quick look and one of them suggests Coleman fuel.

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/14597/

I personally would imagine (unleaded) petrol would be fine though, just don't pressurize it too much first time, so you get the hang of it.
It's worth taking it apart and cleaning the whole thing first!

If it works anything like my MSR it'll be a fantastic "jet powered" bit of kit!
goodjob

I have the feeling that Globetrotter may have used these or something similar, he likes old fashioned stoves and equipment.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Thanks Rich..useful info.Its unissued in its box,dated 1964!Its got good pressure when you pump it.
Just something about petrol under pressure that worries me!
What is Colman fuel anyway?Is it a branded stove fuel?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Thanks Rich..useful info.Its unissued in its box,dated 1964!Its got good pressure when you pump it.
Just something about petrol under pressure that worries me!
What is Colman fuel anyway?Is it a branded stove fuel?

colman fuel I think is also known as "white petrol(or gas)" (I used to sell it in Blacks).
(sort of refined petrol i think and expensive!)
such an old stove shouldn't need it though.

pressurized petrol...on fire!:eek:

....yup I know....the first Time i saw an MSR lit indoors i was bricking it!

first it looked like it was out of control just burning a 6" high orange flame with black smoke (warming up).
then the guy turned it up, suddenly a very noisy roaring blue jet!

"Parp!" :eek:

Fact is, the technology has been around a long time, Its very efficient, and you rarely hear of problems.
(most likely problems are going to be the various washers and seals).

I take my MSR on family camping trips all the time and have no problem using it in the tent, incidentally I feel less confident using a unpressurized Meths Trangia in a tent, I've seen them flare up a 1ft wide ball of fire! (with no apparent cause:eek:)

My friends who had all the mod con's in their tents got very concerned when I showed them how to cook with pressurized petrol!:yikes: :lmao:

Just remember we don't even think about the 1000's of explosions going on in a car as we drive!
:campfire: :drive::campfire:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ive recently bought one of these but i wont get a chance to try it out for a whille.Id just like to know if any other members on here have had any experience with them and what they are like?It runs on 'gasoline' but tbh me and 4 star dont get on very well...would they work on meths?:)

I detest shouting or capital letter emphasis but DO NOT TRY AND RUN IT ON METHS this would be very dangerous.

Available new here and the seller will ship to the UK
http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=282 with the storage/cooking pots

Back to the stove, run well on Naptha (Coleman fuel, panel wipe and Aspen 4T) and will run on car fuel but this smelly stuff will clog the stove up so steer clear.

Easy to light but no real simmer capability they are full power or nothing; remember these were designed just to heat rations or boil water. This and similar designs were made by various companies, I have them made by Coleman and Rogers.

Don't strip it down if its working, pretty much all that will maybe need changing is the nitril seal in the top of the pump that seals it to the fuel tank and possibly the pump leather (just give the leather a good soak in olive oil before you use it to bring it back to life).

Hope this helps, they are a good little stove.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
What is panel wipe and Aspen 4t?

Panel Wipe is Naptha used as a solvent for de-greasing before painting car panels about £10 for 5ltrs
Coleman fuel is Naptha about £65 for 5ltrs used to rip off campers
Aspen 4t is petrol + addatives for running engines so is not designed for stoves
though they will run on it just like ordinary petrol but they both clog the generator up faster.
One tip use a "cooks blowtorch" to preheat rather than pumping opening the valve then shuting and lighting
the escaped fuel then opening valve slowly.Get the generator hot and open the valve instant light
brewup.jpg

just my take cheers Danny

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dan your view on Aspen 4T has surprised me, it a very good clean fuel and now pretty much fuel of choice amongst a lot of the stove collectors (when they can find a local stockist).

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-4T-alkylate-petrol A lot of the campers in Norway use the stuff but there its readily available I'm told. Talking to the sales director they are trying to get outdoor stores to stock it now.

Price of PW here in South Wales has shot up, its in fact cheaper for me to buy off eBay than my local supplier even with postage costs :)

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
It's 2 or 3 years back now I e-mailed the Anglo oil co. from your link to find out my nearest stockist which was near Barnsley so I went through for 5ltrs.I've just been out the shed where I've 4 3/4 ltrs left I opened the can as well as a can of unleaded petrol to me they both smell the same I also opened a can of panel wipe and though it's not smell free it's allot less than the other two.:pokenest: At the time I wanted to run an Optimus 123R on the same fuel as my mower but gave up to petrol and went to panel wipe as far less fumes.It's probably just me but I wouldn't run a zippo lighter or hand warmer off 4T then again I wouldn't run my mower off panel wipe.
cheers Danny

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ok,done a bit of googling on the fuel subject and found out stockists of aspen 4t and im going to have a look in my local bodywork shop for panelwipe.Ill give them all a try!
It looks like it just comes down to personal preference.
My nearest supplier of coleman fuel sells it for £7.99!!!!
Thanks for the help stove guru's!
My next question will be how to clean the thing if it blocks up..

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's 2 or 3 years back now I e-mailed the Anglo oil co. from your link to find out my nearest stockist which was near Barnsley so I went through for 5ltrs.I've just been out the shed where I've 4 3/4 ltrs left I opened the can as well as a can of unleaded petrol to me they both smell the same I also opened a can of panel wipe and though it's not smell free it's allot less than the other two.:pokenest: At the time I wanted to run an Optimus 123R on the same fuel as my mower but gave up to petrol and went to panel wipe as far less fumes.It's probably just me but I wouldn't run a zippo lighter or hand warmer off 4T then again I wouldn't run my mower off panel wipe.
cheers Danny

Dan there is the pure 4T and the 2T designed for mowers check which one you have. The 4T is a pure Alkylate petrol which is pretty much at the top of the Alkanes chain of fuel, very clean indeed.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Aspen 4T is unleaded petrol without additives (not quite but near enough). Thats is one of its selling points for mowers as you will not be breathing in the nasty additives that in a car are altered by the catalytic convertor.
Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Aspen 4T is unleaded petrol without additives (not quite but near enough). Thats is one of its selling points for mowers as you will not be breathing in the nasty additives that in a car are altered by the catalytic convertor.
Alan

Yep, pretty much what I said, what stoves do you use it in Salan?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Hi I have one,

I've never worked in a camping shop but I can advise it's not like an an MSR

Here it is....

P1010056.jpg

They normally come in a container that doubles as a cooking pot...

P1010042-1.jpg

The stove fits inside

P1010044.jpg

The Stove opened up....

P1010045.jpg

They come with a wrench on the outside...

P1010046.jpg

And a spare generator clipped to one of the pot support legs in a stainless steel box..

P1010047-1.jpg

The pump rod assembly is hollow and contains other spares...

P1010048-1.jpg

The stove runs pretty well on white gasoline and also on unleaded....
you have to prime it first by giving it a couple of pump strokes and then opening the valve to allow the priming cup to fill... then close the valve and ignite the priming fuel....

P1010050.jpg

When the fuel is almost burned away open the valve slowly and the stove will burn with a blue flame....
P1010053.jpg

add some more strokes to achieve full pressure....

Now the M1950 is either on or off it's difficult to get it to simmer.... Remember it's designed as a squad stove from the days of canned 'C' rations so it's designed to boil water and heat canned rations fast not simmer a fine bachmel sauce or saute green beans in a jus of orange and garlic....

It does chuck out some heat.... The M1950 is derrived form a long line of US Army Stoves that begins with the Coleman 520 and goes onto the M1942 'mountain' stove and off shoot Civillian coleman 530 all of these are the same either on or off..... I believe the US Army no longer issues the M1950 regularly as GI's and Marines can now heat their MRE's with the chemical heater issued and the US Army does not 'Brew up' as often as the British Army

M1950 and M1942 for comparison....

DSCF2238.jpg

I'd rate the M1950 as OK there are better stoves out there such as:

P1010071.jpg

Hope this helps...

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
FYI,

I just saw a 1942 mod. on U.S. ebay for 10.00 dollars and another one with all of the original decals, manual, spares, pots, etc. for a 100.00 dollar bid.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've come a bit late to this thread but another alternative to Aspen 4T and panel wipe is brake cleaner from GSF. Its Naptha, £8 for 5 litres, plus the vat.

Nice one Fred, any links to where I can get some to try?

Edit: found a store in Cardiff.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE