Lundhags Leather Grease vs Wax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I have both. From what i could glean from the Lundhags website, the Grease is a beeswax based product with pine tar etc; whereas the wax is carnuba wax.
Both do a similar job but the grease is the older, more traditional recipe.
If i remember rightly, the wax is more suited for their 3 layer boots .
The grease is weird to use as the pine tar is in small, hard lumps and takes a lot of rubbing in, but none of my lundhags leak and both still look good.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The grease penetrates better.
The wax is not so fantastic in freezing trmperatures.

I used a two product dystem, first a deep impregnation with Mink Oil, then a mink fat (= grease).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
just wondering if one of you knowledgeable people can tell me the difference between the grease and wax that Lundhags make?

For boots? I can't help with questions about the products you're asking about, but it's probable that one is diluted with a solvent. Like Nikwax was in a tin compared to their more liquid stuff, now both discontinued.

Having used the old style oily Nikwax (brilliant stuff), to their water based milky muck that bungs up stitching and lace holes with gunk and leaves the boots looking like they have an opaque coating, I tried Sno Seal.

Mainly beeswax, applied it on my Bates and Scarpa boots at the beginning of Autumn, and thoroughly recommend it. I come home and hose my boots, been doing it every day for weeks, there's no sign of any water getting into the leather at all.

It comes from the USA via eBay, but don't fret, this seller is excellent. Decent sized jar is less than a tenner posted, I applied it with a cloth in front of the fire and let it soak in.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1322244577...3D710-134428-41853-0%26rvr_id%3D1410106259180

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I already have sno-seal, I use it on my miendl hunting boots, I used to use the miendl sportswax but it’s not very good, it makes the boots look really scruffy, it eventually makes the boots look greasy and tired

I never looked back on sno-seal for those boats, but being a stickler for the rules I wanted to treat my shiney new lundhags with their recommended product which looks like grease due to the good advice above!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Trouble is sno seal is difficult to get in the uk in shops. Used in many years ago and it’s fantastic stuff.

Impossible I found. That eBay guy is very good, comms all the way to your door, which was only a week. And considering I've coated two pairs of boots and have 2/3 of a pot left, I'd say it's good value.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE