Lumsdaine shore/keeping it tidy

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Just thought id put up a quick post to ask those who go to Lumsdaine shore to please take your litter away with you, since the group trip i organised here in July ive been twice since ,and each time there's been more stuff left there, I have a deal with the farmer who's land i have permission to park on, that i leave no mess, i do sometimes tie up my litter(eg any cans and package's bottles of a group trip) and wrap it up in bin liners bury it under a pile of rocks well away from the tide line and collect it in a day or so, mainly when there's been a group of us down there, and we have a lot to take back up the cliffs with us(those that have been will understand) i also do it the other way round eg, leave food and water prior to camping there, purely to cut down on what i need to carry but i always come back with a empty rucksack uncover and remove the bag ive left,But the last two occasions ive been, rubbish has been left eg, cans left in remains of the fire, even what looks like a old fishing rod in there, plus two cheap tarp's left lying around whilst nothing major,still a bit untidy, Im not accusing anyone on here, just asking please check when your leaving nothings left, im going back this weekend to do a good sweep of the area,and to take away as much as i can, but due to the nature of the location it aint easy.
thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That sounds carp mate, I wouldn't imagine many folk find their way down there. Do you think they're coming in on boats then ?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Rich, its had a few visitors since we where there as a group ,like i said ive been there a few times and each time noticed bit n bobs about the place mostly in the fire area burnt tins and the like,(and a burnt fishing rod i think!) nothing to bad just dont want it to get out of hand gonna do a spick n span clear up this Saturday maybe put up a laminate notice of the seating bit eg'' please take your litter with you thanks''. could be from boats but the ferns are well pushed down to.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Just got back from beach clean up and im pretty disappointed at the state of the place, me and a friend removed two bin bags full of stuff( beer tins,baby wipes,old fuel tins,plastic water bottles,rotting food stuffs, plastic bags) not easy to get back up a 300 ft cliff face,and i dont want to have to do it again, i couldnt remove all because i had no gloves and some stuff was covered in blue bottle swarms, i covered it with sand and will take some petrol next time i go (small amount) and burn it completely before i go near it, i think it was rotten food,but due to wipes near by i wasnt taking the chance, im going to ask my nieghbour who passes that area by boat every day to keep a look out how often its getting used and im going to go as often as i can to check, but if your going PLEASE REMOVE YOUR RUBBISH,TAKE IT WITH YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE.
thanks.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Sounds crap Andy Having just spent a week up in Wooler we did a few trips along the coastline. Its such a cracking bit of the country so its a shame people dont give a toss about what they leave behind. Do you think some of it could have actually come in on the tide maybe been dumped by less concious beach users further along the coast. Its hard to think many people would actually walk down to that bit of beach.

I ended up cleaning a load of rubbish away from an old roman hillfort whilst we were away
left by people who thought it would be nice to have a bar b q but could not be @rsed to take away their stuff I ended up with half a bin bag full.

It is really really annoying!!

hope things get a bit better mate.

Regards

Andy

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi Andy hows things? nope the rubbish was'nt from the sea, there are bits of rubbish along the beach that have come from the sea, but the last few times ive been there has been more and more left, right near the seating area which is beyond the high tide line,and in around the fire,and in the grass area where you and tony set up your tents,these area's are way beyond the waves in all but the worst storms and we have'nt any storms this summer, plus you can tell by the condition of whats being left its just been left there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE