Lumpy Tums

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi All,

Caught a few mins of Ade Edmondsons "Ade in Britain" the other day and he was making an oatmeal dish called "Lumpy Tums". Basicaly balls of moistened oatmeal boiled in water then served with warm milk and honey/syrup.
Wasn't paying attention at the time but it seems a lot cleaner way of making porridge (no glutious pans). Is there a specific type of oatmeal and how long to boil for?
Google isn't playing the game with this one so hopefully there's a Derbyshire resident out there who can help me with this potentially clean bushcraft porridge recipe?
Cheers
GB.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Looking at the link I think the programme may have been about these ...

Hasty Pudding
Hasty Pudding is a close relative of lumpytums but nobody seems to make it any more. One recipe tells you to drop small balls of stiff flour paste into salted boiling water to cook. Some people simply whipped flour into hot milk until it thickened. Either way, it needs sweetening with sugar, honey or syrup.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Mark, this is what was confusing me, the link says its about scattering the oatmeal to be lumpy, the ones Ade did were formed from moistened balls of oatmeal about the size of an Ikea horse/meatball. They boiled in water leaving no mess or sticky pans to clean, hence why looked great for camping. Maybe not the trad way to do it that he was showing?
Ta again,
GB

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Cheers Mark, this is what was confusing me, the link says its about scattering the oatmeal to be lumpy, the ones Ade did were formed from moistened balls of oatmeal about the size of an Ikea horse/meatball. They boiled in water leaving no mess or sticky pans to clean, hence why looked great for camping. Maybe not the trad way to do it that he was showing?
Ta again,
GB

They do sound good, I googled Derbyshire Lumpy Tums and got quite a few results..... which I am browsing now

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looking at the link I think the programme may have been about these ...

Hasty Pudding
Hasty Pudding is a close relative of lumpytums but nobody seems to make it any more. One recipe tells you to drop small balls of stiff flour paste into salted boiling water to cook. Some people simply whipped flour into hot milk until it thickened. Either way, it needs sweetening with sugar, honey or syrup.

Hi Elen,
Hope you're hirplin' better.
Hasty pudding sounds similar to the arrowroot pudding I used to get as a kid Link used to especially get it if you'd been unwell and needed something gentle on the tummy. Usual regime of boiled water first, keep that down and either boiled lemonade or arrowroot pudding, keep that down and it's scotch broth or chicken soup. Then your fine, get out and play.
TTFN,
GB

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are lumpy tums not just doughballs ?.....what some English cry dumplings ?

Basically make a dough of oatmeal, fat and water, bit of seasoning if you like, roll into wee balls and boil for 20 minutes or so.
I'd use fine meal or rolled oats I think.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Are lumpy tums not just doughballs ?.....what some English cry dumplings ?

Basically make a dough of oatmeal, fat and water, bit of seasoning if you like, roll into wee balls and boil for 20 minutes or so.
I'd use fine meal or rolled oats I think.

cheers,
M

Basically Mary though he didn't add any fat, just moistened the oatmeal, think you'd be right about the fine to medium oatmeal, wasn't sure of timings.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Been looking for recipes for this; the Derbyshire ones say that they're dry in the middle....I don't know if they mean dry as in 'raw' or dry like the cake like texture inside a doughball, though. :dunno:

You'll just need to give it a go :D

They make totally weird oatcakes down there though; shaped like a nan bread, and thick too and not crisp.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Been looking for recipes for this; the Derbyshire ones say that they're dry in the middle....I don't know if they mean dry as in 'raw' or dry like the cake like texture inside a doughball, though. :dunno:

You'll just need to give it a go :D

They make totally weird oatcakes down there though; shaped like a nan bread, and thick too and not crisp.

cheers,
M

Aye Mary, I've always thought that their oatcakes were more akin to our drop scones. Will give the lumpy tums a few experimental trys, just wondered if anyone here had made them. It really is me being lazy and liking the lack of cleaning up while getting my porridge fix.
Ta
Colin.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
one minimal cleanup approach to eating oatmeal that I use is to use quick oats mixed with brown sugar and cold water in a plastic bag - let it soak up the water for a minute or two then eat from the bag - cleanup is to lick the spoon and put bag in trash or burn it

another approach I have seen other backpackers use is to do basically the same as I do but the oatmeal and sugar/flavourings are spooned/poured into the mouth dry and then washed down with water

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Elen,
Hope you're hirplin' better.
Hasty pudding sounds similar to the arrowroot pudding I used to get as a kid Link used to especially get it if you'd been unwell and needed something gentle on the tummy. Usual regime of boiled water first, keep that down and either boiled lemonade or arrowroot pudding, keep that down and it's scotch broth or chicken soup. Then your fine, get out and play.
TTFN,
GB

I seem to be hirplin' a bit better every day, GB :) - fingers crossed, can't do the toes!
Yes, I was gived hasty pudding when I was icky as a kid, with the arrowroot, but it does sound like the things you was on about at the beginning ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE